Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 soda99

soda99

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 11:56 PM

Hi everyone...out of all the problems out troubleshooted this one is the worst. I really hope someone can help. Here we go.

I have vista home premium. I don't know what happen everything was fine when I turned off my computer last night and started it today and my computer won't boot. It performs post and just when it transfering over to the os it hangs and doesn't go any futher. I tried to boot into safe mode and it hangs at the file crcdisk.sys which I think is the last file before it transfers over to the os. I then tried to perform a startup repair with vista installation disk but that hangs to right after the disc loads the systems files...Here is a list of what I did so far.

Took hard driver out and installed on another computer and ran check disc...then installed in back...did the same thing it hangs
I tried a complete different hd that I formatted and tried to do a fresh install from the installation disc...still same thing...it hangs
I then was thinking it was my installation disc so I tried to do a startup repair on another computer and it worked...
I reset the bois to all defaults ....still the same ...it hangs
I even tried an ide hd thinking it was my sata drivers but it did the same thing...it hung just after the installation files loaded..
I tried last known good config...nothing...
I tested ram..
I tested the hd
cpu temp is good...

all in all ...I can't boot in regularly mode or safe mode and I can't boot from dvd or external dvd to do a repair or fresh install...

I have know clue what to try now.....

why is it hanging on crcdisk.sys file ....

Im at a loss and really need some help here...Please any help would be really appreciated...thanks a head of time..

soda

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 12:32 AM

What kind of computer do you have? Laptop or desktop? Brand: IE Dell, Sony ect.............. Offhand, I'm betting laptop........... every instance of this I found was from a laptop.

It really sounds like a hardware problem. Most likely the motherboard. You said you checked your HDD in a different computer and it's good. You said you that you tried a different HDD and a fresh install and that didn't work either.

How did you check your RAM?

It's tough to know what to tell you to try without knowing what kind of system you are on.

Edited by DeathStalker, 18 April 2010 - 12:34 AM.

#3 soda99

soda99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 12:55 AM

hi sorry I should of put in my specs

its an acer aspire desktop model ast671-ep820a
820 pentium cpu
250 gig hd sata
1 gig ddr2 ram

I just tried to install xp on a fresh formatted hd and it still hands...so im thinking its the mother board too...but its weird though cause on a regular boot it performs post and just when the os is about to take over it hangs....

#4 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 02:19 AM

LOL it figures. As I posted that "offhand I'm betting it's a laptop" thing I said to myself, "Idiot, that means it will be a desktop."

Do you happen to know if you have an onboard GPU or do you have a video card? I'd normally ask you to run CPUID if you don't know, but you CAN'T because you aren't able to do anything. If you DO have a video card, you could try replacing it, or substituting it. I say substituting because you are posting here on a computer that isn't the one we are talking about. You tested your HDD on a different computer. If you that same computer has a video card, you could try using it in the dead machine and seeing if it works. I am focusing in on the GPU because I had the same problem. For some weird reason, when it happened, I could open my case, disconnect and reconnect my DVD Sata and DVD power and it would then be able to do a repair install. So I replaced my DVD (seems the obvious step, right?). Well after I replaced the DVD drive, it happened again. I replaced my GPU and haven't had a problem since. (That reminds me, I need to stick that dvd drive back in and see what happens.)

If you can't try another GPU have you tried a BIOS flash? If not I would say try that. I saw one instance where that fixed the problem.

Edited by DeathStalker, 18 April 2010 - 02:24 AM.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:24 AM

Have you tried changing cables.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users