Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PDF in web pages

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wannabeadmin141

wannabeadmin141

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 23 September 2005 - 12:41 PM

Okay, heres the scenario:

-user is using winxp, adobe acrobat 6.04, on a company network.
-the problem is not being able to open pdf documents in the users web broswer. it just appears on the new web page with a red X in a little box in the top left hand corner of the broswer

-i've noticed multiple users with this problem and still no PERMANENT fix. normally i just have the users right click and save the target as which enables the users to make an icon on their desktop for the pdf which allows them to open it directly through adobe reader which works flawlessly.
-As i've mentioned this is only a temporary fix and i need something more solid like why can't they open the documents like they always had? is it because of a new upgrade in the software?
-i've checked the adobe preferences under the internet tab and the box that says "enable pdf's in web browser" is checked ..also the file type .pdf is enabled to open with adobe.

-i'm not to sure where to go from here except to start rolling back some of the updates of adobe, any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks

"As it was in the beginning, it will be in the end "

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 23 September 2005 - 01:45 PM

I can't help with your Adobe problem but you can try an alternative PDF reader that works well and loads faster. Just be sure that you set it to be your default.

Foxit PDF Reader v1.3
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

FYI: There is a more current version (7.03) available than Acrobat 6.04.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2005 - 04:55 PM

I have seen this problem on XP machines that have been updated with SP2, the downloaded version. In other words, perhaps you downloaded SP2, installed it, and then this problem started? I have investigated this in Microsoft's Knowledge Base in the past, and their response is to do just what you are doing, right click, save target as, but that is simply a work around, ya know? And a pesky one at that.

I have uninstalled SP2 and resinstalled using a disk from Microsoft and the pdf's read just fine then.

Don't know if that is your situation, but maybe get you thinking in the right direction?

Albert Frankenstein
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2005 - 10:10 PM

When I get that I just reinstall Adobe without uninstalling. A registry roll back or System Restore can cause that.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 wannabeadmin141

wannabeadmin141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2005 - 05:27 PM

I heard from around the way:

1) If you have the full copy of adobe acrobat and also have adobe reader installed that if you uninstall just the reader the pdf's will work ..
2)If you completely uninstall every adobe update, the full application, and anything else with adobe and then re-install 6.0.0 followed by the 4 updates(6.0.1, 6.0.2, 6.0.3, 6.0.4) the pdf's will work...

Has either option been done before?
If so, the outcome?

#6 useport80

useport80

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2005 - 08:54 AM

for acrobat issues : http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/315029.html
also in the preferences window enable "display pdf in browser"

i believe u need the display pdf in browser for this to work. for speed wise.. use acrobat reader 7. it loads a tsr acrobat_sl.exe which is speed launcher. it'll make opening pdfs quick like opening up txt files in notepad.

#7 wannabeadmin141

wannabeadmin141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2005 - 12:08 PM

Preferences "display pdf in broswer" was my very first step in the process so that was ruled out way back when ..7.0 hasnt been pushed out by our company as of just yet so thats why the issue still remains within 6.0.4 ..The link may come in handy though. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users