Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Love the iPad...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 alongwalk

alongwalk

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:16 PM

One thing all iPad critics seem to have in common: They don't have one.

The iPad isn't intended to be a replacement for a laptop, netbook (i.e. mini-laptop), desktop, or a smartphone. It's a different class of device. That might seem like just some marketing positioning from Apple, but after a couple weeks with the device, I have to agree with that perspective.

I've had an iPod Touch for about a year, and use it all the time. It has my calendar, to-do list, a quick way to get e-mail or look up something on the web, burn time playing a game, listen to a podcast, etc. I do all these things, and quite often... It's helped me be more productive, more organized, and better informed. And I loved the touchscreen, but found it too small for some tasks.

So, I was thrilled with the iPad announcement. It is indeed like a large iPod Touch - great! I don't take it with me everywhere I go... Mostly, it sits on the kitchen table, and when I want to look up something quick - iPad. I check some of my favorite blogs in the morning, check my e-mail, the weather... and it's just plain fun to do this on a touch screen wherever I happen to be around the house. I've just poked-around on the iBook reader, but been pretty happy with it. I've watched a movie on it - was great for the right situation (was traveling at the time). It's also a great photo portfolio. I was in a meeting at my dayjob the other day, and used it to take notes, and send a couple e-mails... a laptop wasn't a possibility at this meeting - simply no space. But the iPad was just like holding a pad of paper - very unobtrusive. And did I mention it's just fun to use the touchscreen? Maybe that'll wear off a bit with time, but it doesn't seem like it.

I still use my desktop for major computing tasks (i.e. photoshop Lightroom is a big one of mine), but the iPad certainly has a place in my routine.

Do I need an iPad? no, of course not. But, I have a lot of things I don't "need". I did have $500 to spend though, so for me it was an easy choice. People spend that much on things they don't need all the time. I have a quilt hanging on my wall that cost $500. Nobody says I was a chump for buying that, they say "nice quilt". The quilt doesn't have a USB port either, but it enriches my life. For those who think it's a crazy thing to spend $500 on, let me ask you this - how much did you spend on your car? Say $8000... Could you have found one almost as nice for $7500? How much did you spend on that big screen TV? That bicycle? Your cable TV bill last year? These are all things we don't need, or don't need to spend as much on as people do, but so what?

I like the iPad, and from the reaction I've seen first hand of people actually seeing and using it, I can tell you - it's going to be a success.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:25 PM

I agree. I enjoy the iPad as well. In fact, when not on my desktop, which I use almost exclusively for BC and work, I use the iPad for browsing. It just works well.

I dont think its a good productivity tool, but it is a great toy :guitar:

I do, though, think the lack of camera and camera was a stupid choice. I do , though, understand why they did it. They need something to add to iPad version 2.0

#3 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:56 PM

The heck with the iPad. I wanna know where you got an $8000 car lol.

#4 alongwalk

alongwalk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:01 AM

The heck with the iPad. I wanna know where you got an $8000 car lol.

Not sure I get this... Do you mean that's too much or too little?.. depends on the car. You can get a decent car for a lot less or a lot more than that.

#5 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:01 PM

I was thinking new car lol like your new iPad. Been a long time since I saw an $8000 new car............

joke gone bad............... :guitar:

#6 alongwalk

alongwalk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:39 PM

Oh... no worries. I don't even consider new cars. Drive one off the lot, and you've already lost about 35% of the value. If you have money to burn, they're great, but otherwise...? Though, if you do have your heart set on a new car, you could get tato nano...

Anyway, I think this thread is drifting from the iPad... So, in an attempt to make this iPad-relevant... um... it's great for racing games!

#7 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:38 AM

Can you set it on the dash of your $8000 car and surf while you drive? :guitar:

I think they are cool as can be, but I have no use for one. My daughter is too young for one and I have a different taste in toys. My wife wouldn't use it unless it fit in her purse lol.

Are they locked in with AT&T like the iPhone is? My understanding is that they are. I won't do business with AT&T. I think that's a sticking point with many people.

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:52 PM

the 3g version is contract free but yes you need to go with at&t. :guitar:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#9 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:34 AM

That's a shame. I think an iPad would be perfect for my wife for her work.

#10 alongwalk

alongwalk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:56 AM

I won't do business with AT&T. I think that's a sticking point with many people.

All the cell phone companies suck. I have Verizon... sure, the reception is generally good, but they rip you off every chance they get. Same goes with cable service providers. Anyway, I've stopped worrying about it... it's not worth holding a grudge. Sooner or later, any of these companies will do something to drive you nutso.

BTW, you can get a WiFi iPad. That's what I have (that's what everyone has right now, because the 3G versions aren't out yet). I mostly use it around the house. It's not quite as portable as a cell phone anyway... and when I do go somewhere with it, it's amazing how many places have WiFi. There's no monthly connection fee - just buy it once... which I think is just great.

Edited by alongwalk, 23 April 2010 - 12:58 AM.

#11 tehekulmeister

tehekulmeister

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:25 PM

Hm, well the iPad certantly is a great quick newspaper/games/other media reader/player, but one thing I don't like is NO FLASH SUPPORT!!!
Steve Jobs has said that he doesn't like flash, but it's so widely used!!! How could he leave it out (He left it out of the iPhone/iPod touch too)?!

#12 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 02:22 PM

He left out flash because it is his way of getting back at adobe for all those years that adobe did not make any of there tools such as photoshop available to mac users. Also Jobs claims that flash is buggy and is CPU intensive and so on...

Now I'm just waiting for HTML 5 to take over.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users