Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer keeps closing

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lady dedlock

lady dedlock

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:42 PM

Hi everyone,

A few days ago I encountered an odd problem... Whenever I tried to right-click on an .avi file in My Videos in Windows Explorer, I would get one of the 3 following problems:

1. All the open Windows Explorer windows would just close, the taskbar would disappear, and then after a few seconds the taskbar would re-appear. Although I'm not very tech-savvy, I think this is what happens when you terminate explorer.exe and it sort of... automatically restarts itself?

2. I'd get an error message saying "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." and, similar to above, all the Windows Explorer windows close, the taskbar disappears and then re-appears as if nothing happened.

3. At the time I didn't think of taking a screenshot of this one, but after right-clicking on an .avi file and trying to open it in VLC player (my default is Windows Media Player, so I right-clicked -> Open With -> VLC Media Player), the Windows Explorer window froze, VLC froze while loading the file, the taskbar froze... but I was able to access other windows such as Windows Media Player and MS Word through alt+tab. After 3-5 minutes, a message appeared about Data Execution Prevention, and that explorer.exe had been shut down in order to prevent data loss.

Some additional information:
- I have done virus and malware scans, using Norton 360, Malware Bytes and SuperAntiSpyware - my computer is clean
- I'm using SP2; I'm reluctant to upgrade to SP3 because I was told that SP3 may conflict with Symantec products and wreck havoc?
- I recently upgraded DivX and downloaded the DivX Plus Codec Pack
- For some reason I'm unable to do System Restores - whenever it re-boots after attempting to restore, it says that the restore has failed and that no changes have been made

Any idea what the problem could be, or steps I can take to better isolate/diagnose the problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:51 AM

Make sure Norton is updated, and then run the SP3 Updater. I have never heard that Norton caused issues with SP3 upgrades. Can you point to a source that stated as such?

#3 lady dedlock

lady dedlock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:54 PM

Make sure Norton is updated, and then run the SP3 Updater. I have never heard that Norton caused issues with SP3 upgrades. Can you point to a source that stated as such?

Certainly. It's from the pinned topic at the top of this exact Windows XP sub-forum titled "Windows Xp Service Pack 3 (sp3) Information" (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/146857/windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3-information/). Near the bottom of the first post, there's a link which says "Symantec urges caution before SP3 upgrade" (http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=13122).

I assume it's a credible source since it's been linked to in a pinned topic of this forum?

Edited by lady dedlock, 18 April 2010 - 05:55 PM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:18 PM

I am sure whatever was the cause of the issue has been fixed 2 years later.

#5 lady dedlock

lady dedlock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:23 PM

My bad; I did not pay attention to the date stamps. But as it's two years old, why is the topic still pinned? Is the information presented within not outdated and hence misleading to readers?

I'm at work now, but when I get home I will try upgrading to SP3 and post any problems I encounter.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:25 PM

My bad; I did not pay attention to the date stamps. But as it's two years old, why is the topic still pinned? Is the information presented within not outdated and hence misleading to readers?

I'm at work now, but when I get home I will try upgrading to SP3 and post any problems I encounter.

Just make sure that everything you have installed is as updated as possible from drivers like your video card to software like MS Office.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:20 PM

The topic is still pinned...because many users do not have their systems updated beyond 2 years ago, either with software, windows updates, or program updates.

To assume that the posted material is invalid merely because time has passed...takes no recognition of the habits/tendencies of today's users, IMO.

Louis

Google List, Symantec Instructions For Installing SP3

Edited by hamluis, 18 April 2010 - 07:22 PM.

#8 lady dedlock

lady dedlock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:37 AM

The topic is still pinned...because many users do not have their systems updated beyond 2 years ago, either with software, windows updates, or program updates.

To assume that the posted material is invalid merely because time has passed...takes no recognition of the habits/tendencies of today's users, IMO.

Louis

Google List, Symantec Instructions For Installing SP3

Let me re-phrase (although I did not discount it entirely as being 'invalid'; rather, I pointed out that it is misleading). Perhaps, as a mere suggestion then, a moderator could edit said pinned topic regarding the Symantec link and update it by specifying that said problem affects only Norton AntiVirus 2008 and not 2010?

I was not referring to the entire topic, per-say, but rather the link relevant only to Symantec users, the sole reason for my reluctance to upgrade to SP3.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:10 AM

No problem, thanks for pointing that out :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users