Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power up w/out pressing button from blackout

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hotsoslil

hotsoslil

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 06:13 PM

I live in a place with frequent blackouts. Lately when my Dell computer receives power it automatically turns on, without my pushing the power up button. Then I get a black screen with the following message:

"Invalid configuration information please run SETUP program

Performing automatic IDE configuration

Primary Master: Disk Drive
Secondary Master: CD ROM
Time-of-day not set- please run SETUP program
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run setup utility"

I always find the same date when I start up the computer.....

Question 1: Why does the computer turn on all by itself?

Question 2: Is this some kind of hardware failure that can be fixed by a computer repair?

Thanks, for reading and please let me know what I should do to fix this. It drives me crazy having to unplug the computer and then set the date and time every time I turn it on. It's a pain in the neck to take my computer to get it repaired, too, but if I must I will. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 06:46 PM

The time and date changing on you is indicative of a CMOS battery needing to be replaced.

Replacing the battery is an easy do-it-yourself fix, and the batteries don't cost much.

There could be other issues going on, but my suggestion is to replace the battery and go from there.

General guidance (ignore instructions to write down settings), CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

#3 hotsoslil

hotsoslil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:09 PM

I just read something about changing a BIOS setting, maybe the power loss restart.... Could that be it? Should I mess with BIOS settings?

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:10 PM

Your best bet is to replace the battery. It won't do any good to fool around with settings if the battery is dead or dying.

If you have never done it before, it can seem intimidating. But it's one of those things you'll say afterwards "wow, that was easy to do". The first time I replaced the battery of my computer, I was a nervous wreck at the thought of doing it myself. But I did do it, and the computer worked just fine afterwards. If I can do it, anyone can.

I don't know anything about the setting you are referring to so I can't comment on that. However, I will ask some of the experts here to read this topic and comment.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 17 April 2010 - 09:13 PM.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 12:21 AM

It is one of 3 different things that I can think of off hand-first, replace the CMOS battery like it has already been suggested. Second, have you reset the BIOS recenty? If so, is your BIOS reset a jumper reset? if so, is the jumper in the wrong spot? something to check. And third thing to try, is if you can get into the BIOS itself, try loading the fail-safe defaults, and see what that does.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users