Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fastest Startup Antivirus?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 BrainyTehBrain

BrainyTehBrain

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:52 PM

I've been getting tired of McAfee's antivirus as it seems ineffective, slow, and updating issues? Any recommendations?
And how do I uninstall McAfee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 06:00 PM

Kaspersky! I am not running it anymore only due to the free Microsoft Security Essentials which is also quite fast, I feel KAV is a little better then the MSE but with four computers I'll chance MSE.

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 17 April 2010 - 06:00 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 06:06 PM

There should be an uninstall.exe included in the program's main menu.

If not go to your Control Panel and look for Add or remove programs double click the icon then in the window that opens, select the program and choose uninstall.

I suggest you try Microsoft's Security Essentials. The program is FREE, does not hog resources and does not come with tons of bloatware. It runs in realtime protecting your computer and you can choose a shedule for when it scans a quick scan or a full scan.

Here is the link. http://www.microsoft.com/SECURITY_ESSENTIALS/

Once it is installed, make sure you choose the Update tab and update the program before doing a scan.

Try it and let us know what you think of it.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:04 PM

I would recommend ZoneAlarm Antivirus and firewall. I have used it for many years and love it.

It uses the Kaspersky scan engine which I believe makes it as good as Kaspersky but it costs quite a bit less.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:10 PM

Can you share your system specs with us?

I would highly recommend staying away from Zone Alarm anything their programs are notorious for changing things without user intervention.

I would use Windows Firewall or a Router.

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:37 PM

In the many years that I have been using ZoneAlarm not only has it never changed anything on any of my systems, it is it what keeps other programs from making changes on my system without my permission. I have also never had a virus while using it either.

ZoneAlarm also found viruses on a system someone brought me to clean up that both McAfee and Norton missed

Edited by Stang777, 17 April 2010 - 07:39 PM.

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:55 PM

McAfee has a removal tool, which can be found by following this link:
List of Antivirus Uninstallers and Removal Tools
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:37 AM

OP asked for fastest startup antivirus and nobody recommended avast! ?
avast! is lean and mean, low on resources and provides all around security. This is what I use and what I recommend.

#9 BrainyTehBrain

BrainyTehBrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:30 AM

My computer is XP.
Pentium 4 2.20 Ghz
1.25 Gigs of RAM. ( It came with 0.5)
If that helps

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:43 AM

I would get another Gig of RAM and upgrade your PC.

Also how fast is your hard drive?

#11 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 12:51 PM

Can you share your system specs with us?
I would highly recommend staying away from Zone Alarm anything their programs are notorious for changing things without user intervention.
I would use Windows Firewall or a Router.

I have never seen ZoneAlarm change things without user intervention. Windows firewall for XP is not recommended. Router cannot control applications accessing internet. Zone Alarm is one of the best protections available.

1.25 GB of RAM is good enough for a Windows XP based computer, unless the user runs many memory hungry apps on it. Upgrading RAM just for running a memory seeking antivirus is beyond my comprehension.

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:08 PM

1.25 GB of RAM is good enough for a Windows XP based computer, unless the user runs many memory hungry apps on it. Upgrading RAM just for running a memory seeking antivirus is beyond my comprehension.

A default Windows XP Installation with no services disabled and standard set of start up items consumes between 256Megs and 512Megs of RAM leaving 768Megs of RAM for other processes. If they use Firefox with several tabs open it can consume more then 200Megs of of RAM leaving 512Megs of RAM for all other processes. When virus scanner scans it can consume a lot of resources such as RAM.

I have seen systems comes to a complete crawl with 1Gig of RAM installed, and after they installed more memory the system performed well.

Here are my observations/experiences with Windows OS's and various amounts of RAM:

Windows 3.11 was less than 64Megs of RAM - Anything more and the system crawled

Windows 95 = 256Megs of RAM - Anything more and the system crawled

Windows 98/ME = 512Megs of RAM to 1Gig of RAM - Anything more and the system crawled

Windows 2000 Professional = 1Gig to 2Gigs of RAM - Anything more and the system crawled

Windows XP Home/Pro 2 to 4Gigs of RAM - Anything more and the system crawled

Windows Vista = 2Gigs of RAM or more

Edited by cryptodan, 18 April 2010 - 01:13 PM.

#13 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:23 PM

My dear friend, most Windows 98 systems ran on 64MB RAM. My father has an old Toshiba laptop with Windows 95 and 16MB RAM (it was advertised as superfast)
Older motherboards do not even support upgrading more than 256 or 512 MB RAM.
I have no idea where you have taken data from.

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:27 PM

My dear friend, most Windows 98 systems ran on 64MB RAM. My father has an old Toshiba laptop with Windows 95 and 16MB RAM (it was advertised as superfast)
Older motherboards do not even support upgrading more than 256 or 512 MB RAM.
I have no idea where you have taken data from.

Using various systems over the last 10 years that I have been in the IT industry. As time goes by system requirements can change as stated in various End User License Agreements that I have read. It also states that these changes can be made without notice.

I have worked and used various systems with Windows 95 with various amounts of RAM installed from school computers to my own and to customers and clients.

The most stable systems had the various amounts of RAM I have listed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users