Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow internet after upgrade

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Edward1978

Edward1978

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:17 PM

I have a Compaq with an upgraded 2gb of ram and a 3.06ghz single core processor (tried a dual core 3.40 but that had too many issues that weren't worth figuring out). Running XP home, SP2. I have run Internet Explorer 6 since I've owned this computer with acceptable speed in internet browsing. I say acceptable because I am on satellite internet, which is slower than most to begin with. I recently tried upgrading to IE7 and my browsing speeds dropped dramatically. According to speedtest, IE6 had me right around 1.5mbps. Upgrading to IE7 dropped me to 0.29mbps. Did an uninstall then tried an IE8 upgrade and speeds dropped to 0.19mbps. Uninstalled that and IE6 was showing right back at 1.5 mbps. It's an obvious slowdown and painfully slow just to open Google or something simple. I've gone through spyware removal, virus removal, malware removal, etc. The computer is squeeky clean. I'm happy with IE6, the computer does fine with all my daily work and the only reason I wanted to upgrade was because many websites didn't support my browser and pages didn't always show correctly. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:44 PM

To be honest, IE8 sucks beyond all manner of belief. If I wasn't a Firefox convert, I'd most likely still be using IE6. Yes, you are supposed to upgrade because of security issues blah blah....but if the browser (IE8) is incompatible with 90% of the websites out there, what's the point? Heck, it even thinks Wikipedia should be run in IE8's "Compatibility Mode".

That's not to mention the EXTREME lack of speed exhibited by IE8 that you speak of and I've experienced myself.

I use Firefox exclusively. I do have IE8 installed, but I cringe every time I have to use it (if a particular website won't work in FF).

If you want to stick with IE6, that's fine. I wouldn't wish IE8 on my worst enemy. My personal recommendation would be to try Firefox. :thumbsup:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 Edward1978

Edward1978
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:07 PM

So it's common to see a 95% decrase in internet speeds by upgrading to IE7 or 8? I've considered trying Firefox, but honestly my internet activity is pretty simple.... just a pain to relearn button locations and such. I'd stick with IE6 forever if it wasn't for all the websites that don't support it and jargled pages because I havn't upgraded. I'm on satellite, so the internet is already half as fast as everyone else... hard to believe Microsoft could pass off something "mandatory" that kills your ability to get through something on the net quickly.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:22 PM

So it's common to see a 95% decrase in internet speeds by upgrading to IE7 or 8?

From what I've seen, yes. This may not be the case for every PC owner using IE7 or 8, but I know it happens a lot.

For Internet Explorer Users

Just give Firefox a shot. I think you will be pleased. :thumbsup:

#5 Edward1978

Edward1978
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:31 PM

I just downloaded Firefox 3.6 and I must say that I am impressed. It's fast even compared to IE6. Will take some getting used to, expecially the favorites portion. It'll do, but still curious if there is a tweak or something I'm doing wrong to cause IE7 and 8 to be so darn slow.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:37 PM

Upgrading to IE7 dropped me to 0.29mbps

tried an IE8 upgrade and speeds dropped to 0.19mbps

Where are those numbers from?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:39 PM

I just downloaded Firefox 3.6 and I must say that I am impressed. It's fast even compared to IE6. Will take some getting used to, expecially the favorites portion. It'll do, but still curious if there is a tweak or something I'm doing wrong to cause IE7 and 8 to be so darn slow.

Awesome. :thumbsup:

Yes, there is a bit of a learning curve when first using Firefox, but once you use it for a few days, it'll seem like second nature.

but still curious if there is a tweak or something I'm doing wrong to cause IE7 and 8 to be so darn slow.

Not that I know of. I have done nothing to IE8 since my last clean install of Windows 7. It still drags along like your mother-in-law going to see the foot doctor. :flowers:

By the way, I recommend installing the Adblock Plus addon in Firefox. There are plenty of other good ones (I can give you the list of the ones I have installed, if you want), but Adblock Plus is always the first to go in a new FF install for me. :trumpet:

Edited by keyboardNinja, 17 April 2010 - 05:39 PM.

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:40 PM

Upgrading to IE7 dropped me to 0.29mbps

tried an IE8 upgrade and speeds dropped to 0.19mbps

Where are those numbers from?

According to speedtest

http://speedtest.net/

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:41 PM

Aha, more coffee needed....LOL

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#10 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:46 PM

With my 1.5 MB/s DSL (according to Bellsouth), I get 0.63 MB/s download and 0.10 MB/s upload speed using Firefox.

With IE8, I get 0.66 MB/s download and 0.11 MB/s upload speed.

IE8 is still slower based on my experience of real world usage. :thumbsup:

#11 Edward1978

Edward1978
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 06:05 PM

These speeds are from speedtest.net. Believe me, they are accurate enough when you compare the experience between IE6 and IE7 on my computer. Took less than a few seconds to load Ebay on IE6 and 4 minutes on IE7.... which is what made me start to think there was something with my computer. I had a "new" Compaq with a 3.0 dual core and 2 gb of ram running Vista and IE7 that wasn't nearly as slow with the internet and the same satellite provider. I gave that computer away mainly because it was Vista and many programs I use for business are no longer available for download..... so my business would have started from scratch unless I went back to my old hard drive and registry.

The speeds you are showing are still way off what I am seeing. Looks like I have a faster connection off the 1.5 mbps modem and my drop-off with a different browser is is still more significant. Again, just trying Firefox and I don't hate it. It's fast, but I still have a hard time believing that IE7 or 8 is truely 95% slower than IE6

#12 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 06:10 PM

What does speedtest.net report in Firefox for you?

Edited by keyboardNinja, 17 April 2010 - 06:10 PM.

#13 Edward1978

Edward1978
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 06:19 PM

1.57mbps

#14 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 06:24 PM

That's what I expected. Don't really know what to tell you about IE7 and IE8 being so much slower...like I said, I don't use them for plenty of reasons (lack of security, speed, customization, etc..)

Just keep using Firefox. It will serve you well. :thumbsup:

#15 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:14 PM

I use Firefox 99% of the time. IMHO it is faster, safer, and in a short time it is easy to use. I do use I.E.8 for any thing downloaded from M/S. It seam that M/S I.E.8 downloads things from M/S better.Go figure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users