Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't access "my documents" when attaching HDD to other PC

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Xstrike

Xstrike

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 03:26 PM

So the history: I got infected with DigitalProtection malware. When trying to fix this problem with all kinds of fixes available on the internet a week ago, my OS kinda "broke down". The booting step goes all well, but after I've entered my password and login in, within 1 sec the system will log out automatically which brings me to the login screen of Windows XP (home) again. I've tried almost everything already: safe mode, restoring last configurations etc, but none of those could get me past the login screen. So here's the part when I gave up and popped the HDD out of my computer and connecting it to another PC to save the photos and documents on it. These documents and photos are located on the desktop and in the "my documents" map. Well, most important stuff are on my desktop. Everything went well, the copying of my music, my movies. But then I got to the part when I entered the "documents and settings" map and trying to open my account (trying to get into my desktop). It gaves me an "access denied" error message. I can't copy or cut the map either. I really need the photos and documents located on my desktop, I hope that someone can help me! Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:11 PM

That's the way things are supposed to work...Windows protects user files from someone who might have access to their hard drive.

Easy way of overcoming this, How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users