Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

So how do I NOT get infected (again)?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bob1 D

Bob1 D

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:47 PM

There are lots of posts here with people who had the same symptoms I had:

1. First I noticed that I heard the Windows alarm noise every so often. I didn't pay attention to this.
2. Then I had the fake XP Antivirus software
3. Malwarebytes removed that, but then I had that Google redirect, and Google Chrome would no longer work, just like everyone else has complained about.

Luckily this was on my laptop computer, and there wasn't much on there. Sony was kind enough to leave a second partition on my hard drive, and software built into the BIOS that reinstalls your system based on that partition. (The rootkit--or whatever it was--couldn't have infected that, could it?)

I installed Avast! anti-virus on my computers (but people say they got infected with this stuff despite having anti-virus software running), and now I'm only surfing the web with Google Chrome with Plug-ins turns off. When I need to use a site requiring a plug-in, like YoutTube or NetFlix, I use Windows Explorer. (Unfortunately, I can't turn off JavaScript because most websites just don't work without Javascript.)

Am I safe now?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:59 PM

Hello,

Since you are still experiencing problems, please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting at step 6.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<==

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then post back here and we will provide you with further instructions.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users