Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

rundll32 missing...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 skipcollins

skipcollins

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 01:11 PM

hi, all! thanks in advance for any help. am cleaning up a friend's laptop,
acer/aspire 4730z running vista home premium. had major trojan infestation,
'vista security center' (ave.exe), many others. cleaned them out with sbsd, malwarebytes,
mse, dr-web, some others. system fine now, except cannot activate windows security center (icon in systray red x'd). when i try to activate, get 'windows cannot find c:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe'. file is there, and is clean.
did winmgmt /verifyrepository and it's consistent. task mgr services shows firewall running. any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:47 PM

Are you sure you are clean?

#3 skipcollins

skipcollins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 08:25 PM

pretty sure, except for fact that can't execute security center. found a new virtumonde infection this afternoon with sbsd, cleaned it out. ran quick scan this evening with mse, clean, now running full scan with mse, half way through, nothing yet. freaky problem. have all the dependencies for wscsvc running fine, as is wscsvc and firewall but can't bring it up, either from systray or control panel.

Edited by elise025, 18 April 2010 - 05:50 AM.
Since this appears to be malware related, I am moving this to Am I Infected ~ Elise

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,805 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:22 PM

It sounds as though something is hiding. Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<==

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then post back here and we will provide you with further instructions.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 skipcollins

skipcollins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:57 PM

orangeblossom, thank you for your offer to help. something is indeed hiding, but its effects on the owner's use are limited. i cleaned out the malware (except for the residual effect) and installed a pctools firewall as a work-around. i need to get the machine back to my friend, so please close out this thread, and thanks again. skip

Edited by skipcollins, 24 April 2010 - 12:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users