Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win2000 Gateway Solo DVD-rom issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 carolenm

carolenm

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 23 September 2005 - 08:15 AM

I have a Gateway Solo 5300 that came with Win 98. After encountering software issues, I loaded Win2000. Win2000 doesn't even see the Toshiba Rom Drive. Laptop has a swappable floppy/ rom drive so when I make a bootable floppy with cd rom drivers it doesn't see the rom drive and aborts the loading of the drivers. What can I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zanthryx

zanthryx

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2005 - 02:05 PM

Driver load will fail in any DOS environment when the hardware is not present.

Are you attempting to load Windows 2000? Or you DID load Windows 2000? If you did, how did you do it?

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 23 September 2005 - 03:17 PM

Are you trying to boot with the floppy then change to the CD on the same bay?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 carolenm

carolenm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2005 - 03:25 PM

Yes, I was trying to boot from floppy then switch to rom drive. I realize I cannot do that and was wondering if there are cables or something I could use so the computer could see both drives.

I loaded Win 2000 from a CD. I had Win98 on the laptop and it recognized the drive.

#5 zanthryx

zanthryx

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2005 - 02:33 PM

I guess I'm confused....you say you installed Windows 2000 from the CD, which indicates that the CD drive works fine and is recognized. Now you are attempting to boot off of the Floppy drive? Something wrong with your 2000 install?

What are you trying to accomplish? That will at least help try to determine a workable solution for it.

#6 carolenm

carolenm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2005 - 04:53 PM

Laptop had Win 98 on it which recognized the cd drive. I loaded Win2000 on the computer. After the loading Win 2000 and the computer reboot, it no longer sees the cd drive. I remember some other people having this problem with this particular model laptop and Win 2000. What I am trying to do is load Win98 back on the machine, but since I have Win 98 on a CD, I have to use the cd drive. However, the floppy/cd drive on this laptop are swappable. I am trying to find some way to use both drives at once so I can boot from a floppy that has cd drivers on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users