Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu partitioned with windows

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 JackieJiv

JackieJiv

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 12:48 PM

Ok I am a new computer user and am just learning about all of this stuff by trial and error. A friend of mine told me about Linux and how I can partition XP with Linux so he sent me to the Ubuntu site for the iso download and I created a cd. Well now that Ubuntu/Linux is on my drive I am trying to figure out how to connect to the Internet using my wireless connection. The router that i connect to is a windows based router (if thats how you put it). I know there is a way to get it to connect with Linux. I didnt know I was going to run into these issues. Please help any suggestions will do. I really want to use Linux cause I know that it is a safer os as far as virus' and malware go. But if I have to, I willtake itoffof my computer. Thank you!
~Jackie J. IV

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 03:04 PM

Your network card may need wireless drivers. I recommend connecting the computer to the router directly via an Ethernet cable an updating Ubuntu. If that doesn't work, I recommend trying NDISWrapper.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 JackieJiv

JackieJiv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 03:12 PM

Ok I have the NDISWrapper just sittin in my downloads. Unfortunately I am not able to connect the comp directly to the router via ethernet because of my room mate situation. Grr. Im jsut not sure where to start with this ndiswrapper. i read somewhere that i have to extract files n such. I Dunno- where do I start? This is so confusing to me.
~Jackie J. IV

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 03:53 PM

NDISWrapper is a special program that "wraps" around Windows wireless drivers so you can use them in Linux. You'll need to get a copy of the Windows driver for your wireless card for it to work. I also recommend getting a program called "NDISGTK" which is a graphical interface for NDISWrapper. Here's a brief guide for using it.

#5 JackieJiv

JackieJiv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:17 PM

Ok I just learned that I have a pci adapter. However I do have to cd for that. i am downloading NDISGTK as well. Does the pci adapter change anything you suggested?
~Jackie J. IV

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:37 PM

Nope. NDISWrapper works for them too.

It would be helpful to know the model and manufacturer of the wireless card. Linux may have built-in support for it with a little tweaking.

#7 JackieJiv

JackieJiv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:49 PM

Linksys wireless-G PCI Adapter w/ Speedbooster
Model Number: WMP54GS

........and this NDISGTK thing.... what do I do with it? It doesn't open and how do I know what American version to download?

Edited by JackieJiv, 17 April 2010 - 04:51 PM.

~Jackie J. IV

#8 JackieJiv

JackieJiv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 12:32 PM

Uuuuuh- Hello? Is there any more info u need?

Edited by JackieJiv, 18 April 2010 - 12:33 PM.

~Jackie J. IV

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 04:10 PM

Sorry for the delay.

To access NDISGTK in Ubuntu, click on the System menu and go to the Administration sub menu. From that sub menu select Windows Wireless Drivers

This should then prompt you for your password. Enter it and you will see the NDISGTK window.

Get the CD that come with your card and put it in your computer. There is a particular type of file you need, it's name ends with .inf. Find where on the CD it is located.

Now in the NDISGTK window, click the Install New Driver button and choose the .inf file you found on the CD. Close NDISGTK and reboot your computer.

#10 JackieJiv

JackieJiv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:15 PM

OK I went to the System Menu ---> Admin Sub Menu ---> nowhere....... There is no Windows Wireless Drivers option. Now what?
~Jackie J. IV

#11 JackieJiv

JackieJiv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:45 PM

Ok I am trying to connect Linux/Ubuntu with my wireless antenna card to my room mates Windows router. I downloaded NDISGTK and Ndiswrapper. I was told to go to the Sytem Menu --> Admin menu--> Window Wireless Driver .......... there is no option for WinWireDriver. What do I need to do to connect Ubuntu to the internet using my LYNKSYS Wireless Adapter w/Speedbooster Model# WMP54GS
~Jackie J. IV

#12 JackieJiv

JackieJiv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:00 PM

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/how-in...iswrapper-video I found this link I hope it helps others
~Jackie J. IV

#13 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:39 AM

Were you able to get your wireless card working after following the guide you found?

#14 JackieJiv

JackieJiv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:11 PM

OK- I am having issues still. I wasn't able to get it working. I did put NDISGTK on a cd to boot in Ubuntu. Don't know what to do when the CD loads and ndiswrapper is not present in Ubuntu. I think I have to put NDISwrapper on a cd to boot as well and I'm out of cd-r's. I have dvd-r's and dvd-rw's. Grrrrr- this is frustrating. Ok what next?

Edited by JackieJiv, 19 April 2010 - 01:11 PM.

~Jackie J. IV

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 19 April 2010 - 02:24 PM

Do thise sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-common

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users