Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Apple in advance discussions to adopt AMD chips

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:43 AM

It is believed that Apple is working with AMD to expand its potential sources for CPUs in order to increase its flexibility and broaden its competitive options, but also likely in response to problems it has encountered with Intel. These issues include limited availability of new processors (which is rumored to have slowed Apple's notebook refreshes) as well as new chipset designs imposed by Intel that have blocked the Mac maker's plans to continue a partnership with NVidia to deliver a standardized chipset for use with its Intel processors across all of its consumer computer offerings.

The rest of the article.

Chris Pirillo:

There is no way I can agree with AppleInsider’s report when they say that “AMD currently offers few advantages in terms of performance or efficiency.”

Is Apple Getting Into Bed with AMD?

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Travito

Travito

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:58 PM

I generally agree with what AppleInsider said. While AMD chips aren't bad by any means, I've found that they do significantly sometimes cut back on performance to keep cost low. For example, my older, high-end Core2Duo had a 6MB L2 Cache when I bought it a while back. While I can find AMD chips now with 2x1MB L2 Caches and 6+ L3 Cache for as much as I paid for my intel chip back then, they weren't very economical when I built my HTPC a few months ago, the affordable ones were butchered a bit.

Still, my 2X1MB L2 cache Athlon II X2 works great in my HTPC.

There's a bit of fallacy in my logic though, I was trying to go cheap on the HTPC build, on the desktop upgrade a while back I was originally going for a Q6600 (DOA, stupid eBay = no place to buy computer parts) and ended up buying the duo in town and just got a refund on the 6600.

#3 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 08:50 PM

I'm saddened that Nvidia and Intel can't get along.

I have a Q6600, and its works great. It runs pretty cool, the problem is my nvidia graphics card runs really hot, even idle.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#4 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:07 AM

I generally agree with what AppleInsider said. While AMD chips aren't bad by any means, I've found that they do significantly sometimes cut back on performance to keep cost low.

AMD highest end cpu vs Intel I7 highest end cpu
I7 wins but AMD is $1000 cheaper and I7 probably really show in Winrar(4 secs difference's) and a extra 10 FPS in games.

Lol.

#5 brooksey!!!

brooksey!!!

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:44 AM

DON'T! DON'T DO IT!!!!

#6 NeverGivUpChris

NeverGivUpChris

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:26 AM

But would it make mac's any cheaper ?? This would also increase the support and reliability for hackintosh on AMD PC systems meaning even more PC users can use OS X. Where will they draw the line at the slacking in their Hardware/Software?DRM monopoly ?? Out of interest apart from peripheral hardware what hardware is exclusively for mac's these days ??
A Royale With Cheese

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users