Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer very sluggish

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 henrysmom

henrysmom

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 23 September 2005 - 07:24 AM

my computer is running so slow i'm ready to throw it out the window,lol it takes forever to open a page. firefox seems a little worse than I.E. any suggestions on how to speed it back up?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2005 - 09:38 AM

Without more information, I am going to assume that the sluggishness is not limited to our friend, IE; consequently, I will make some general observations that might help improve PC performance.

:thumbsup: Clean up your hard drive. Delete or move to storage any files or applications you do not need or use. If you computer has Windows disk cleanup, use it, especially take care to delete temporary internet files. Look also for zipped files remaining after you have unzipped them.
:flowers: Update and run your resident Anti-virus, and any anti-spyware applications you use (Ad-Aware SE, Spybot are two examples). Have these fix anything they find.
:trumpet: Run Scandisk (checkdisk) and have it repair automatically any problems found. Then defrag your computer.
:inlove: Review the programs that launch on startup (Spybot has an utility for this in Advanced mode) and kill anything you do not need (Use the BC startup database to research these before performing any kind of action).
:cool: Make sure you are using the latest version of the browser. In IE's case, make sure all critical security patches have been installed. Since you are having problems with both IE and FF, this may be a hardware problem (depending on how you connext to the internet) or an ISP issue. Check your download/upload speed if possible.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 turnip

turnip

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2005 - 10:21 AM

For a slow system,
thorough check for spyware/viruses
run a disk cleanup if ur running out of disk space, run chkdsk and defragment after that.
trim ur startup items if there are too many, check if you need more RAM.
as always,
here are my fave links on slow system troubleshooting
http://www.microsoft.com/AtWork/getstarted/speed.mspx/
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/slowcom.htm

#4 spywaredr

spywaredr

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 25 September 2005 - 04:09 PM

too many cookies ? internet explorer,tools,options,clear cookies.in privacy tab,advanced,override,allow 1st party,BLOCK 3rd party. that takes care of cookie problems slowing you up.
pre-fetch files: my computer,disk drive ©,windows,pre-fetch [holdddd it !],right click,select send to,select desktop [creates a shortcut in either desktop or quick launch,whichever you are using],view,select all,file,select delete. from now on,you can do this from your desktop/quick launch toolbar.
temp files [NOT temporary internet files],my computer,disk drive ©,windows,temp folder [holdddd it,lol],right click,select send to,select desktop [another desktop/qwuicl launch shortcut],view,select all,file,select delete [or delete any file with previous day's dates].
temporary internet files,internet explorer,tools,options,delete temporary internet files.in advanced tab,security,check empty temporary internet files when browser closes to empty them out each time you shut down.
remove shortcuts [icons] from desktop. right click taskbar,select toolbars,click desktop [clears icons off desktop],repeat and click quick launch [2 >>'s in taskbar now]. all your shortcuts will be in TEXT form on your quick launch toolbar.
download:
CCleaner,Regclean,Regseeker,XPClean,Spybot,Spyware Blaster from here:
http://browseraddons.friendpages.com
in CCleaner,click options BEFORE running. move cookies from delete to save column.in Regclean,click startup tab,remove from start up,any file you can start manually [DOES NOT REMOVE PROGRAMS FROM PUTER,LESS YOU USE THE UNINSTALL TAB,LOL].TO UNINSTALL A PROGRAM THAT DOES NOT HAVE A UNINSTALL FILE,CLICK UNINSTALL TAB TO REMOVE.,Regseeker,click select all,right click any key in column,select delete.in XPClean,use Auto-Clean tab only [the rest are only links to all the before said. UNCHECK cookies tab.Spybot is a spyware remover,Spyware Blaster is a spyware STOPPER,big difference.
you might also download those 2 I.E. adspysites to add protection to internet explorer. puts known spysites into I.E.'S restricted zone.a little more cookie prevention.
get a leaner,meaner,cleaner,pc,lol.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,082 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2005 - 06:54 PM

I would add downloading and scanning with Ewido Security Suite v3.5: http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

Setup & Configuration instructions
here.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users