Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help: Possible video card failure?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cantstopme

cantstopme

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:57 AM

hello, I'm fairly new to this forum. I hope to get some advice before I purchase any new hardware. This is my situation:
- whenever I load a game, my computer instantly freezes and vertical stripes run down my monitor as soon as I enter the game.
- funny thing is, once in a while, I am able to get games to work just fine.
- I've experienced this issue on all games from non-demanding (maplestory) to very demanding (bioshock 2, crysis)
- however, I've never had a problem with mass effect 2 (weird)
-most of the time, it's the initial load that causes the problem.
example: maplestory: after you select your character, and u enter the world, the game freezes, or when you enter a portal.
example2: SC2 beta: after loading screen, when your about to see your base, it freezes.
example3: crysis: after load screen, you enter play, it freezes.

computer specs:
gateway FX6800-01
-stock ATI Radeon HD 4850
-added 3x2gb corsair RAM
-replaced PSU with 750W corsair
-I've updated my BIOS, motherboard chipset, and ATI catalyst(10.3) drivers to their lates ones, ran a mtest.

What I'd like to know is, is it my video card at fault here? or is there something else that may be causing this freezing...
any help is much appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:33 AM

Well it sounds like either a failing card or a overheating one, to posibly rule out an overheating card go here and download speedfan. and then take a screen shot and post it in your next reply.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 cantstopme

cantstopme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:42 PM

here you go, weird thing is temp1 always seems to be really high. Even 20seconds from startup it's already at 93C and stabalizes around 103C.

Attached Files

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:28 PM

Your temp is way above normal and is what is causing your computer to freeze up.

I am not sure exactly what processor is showing the 101 C temp, but I would try doing a thorough cleaning of the inside of your computer.

Check the fan which sits on top of the processor heat sink and check the condition of the heat sink for dust buildup.

You may need to add a new dab of thermal paste between the processor and the heat sink for better heat transfer.

Make sure all the vents through out the computer are not clogged and air flows freely through out the tower.

You should also consider adding more cooling fans to the tower for more air flow.

Check your video card, if it has a cooling fan, make sure it is clean and functioning properly. (make sure any heat sinks are clean)

Try this and let us know if your temperature has dropped down to at least 60 C or close to it..

Edited by MrBruce1959, 17 April 2010 - 05:29 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 cantstopme

cantstopme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:56 PM

The temp seemed kinda weird, so I went into BIOS to double check. my highest temp was my SYSTEM: 48C. The other was my GPU i believe which was sitting around 38C. I don't really see where this temp1 is coming from...

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:33 PM

Get another video card. Yours is dying.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:32 PM

The temp seemed kinda weird, so I went into BIOS to double check. my highest temp was my SYSTEM: 48C. The other was my GPU i believe which was sitting around 38C. I don't really see where this temp1 is coming from...

Yes, but when you are in your BIOS you are not really stressing out any of the processors, so they are running at bare mininum temps.

It takes a lot more processing power to load the Windows GUI and and other programs onto your screen.

The BIOS user interface is basicly like running an old copy of MS-DOS 3.1, it requires very little processing power to load on the screen.

Edit: Heres the real deal for benchmarking (stressing) your processors (3dmark06) http://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/3dmark06/download/

Edited by MrBruce1959, 17 April 2010 - 09:38 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 cantstopme

cantstopme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 04:47 PM

Ah, makes sense. So, I just bought a new video card, ATI HD 5770, everything seems to be running well now =). I've also disabled my smartfan in BIOS so my fans are running at 100% (4355RPM)now instead of 1300RPM. My temp in my CPU has dropped to a reasonable 68C. Thanks for the great help so far, any more advice to keep my system stable? maybe install another case fan to keep my system cool...?

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:12 PM

Can you post a link to your case or a picture of yours?

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 10:56 PM

Ah, makes sense. So, I just bought a new video card, ATI HD 5770, everything seems to be running well now =). I've also disabled my smartfan in BIOS so my fans are running at 100% (4355RPM)now instead of 1300RPM. My temp in my CPU has dropped to a reasonable 68C. Thanks for the great help so far, any more advice to keep my system stable? maybe install another case fan to keep my system cool...?

Seriously, adding any cooling aid to the computer is always worth the money and time put into it.
Heat is the number 1 reason for most electronic component failure next to short outs.

Adding more fans to your tower is an excellent idea and I encourage you to do so.

On a personal note, I have 7 fans inside my tower, not counting the 2 inside the PSU and the processor cooling fan.

There was two fan mounts located inside my tower's front in the same location of the hard drive bays, so I even put two fans there, blowing inward on the hard drives keeping those cool.

The highest temp I have found inside my tower and hardware was 65 degrees F and that was while running 3Dmark06's benchmarks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users