Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will not boot / Registry file failure

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ricciolo

ricciolo

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:38 AM

Hi,

Thank you in advance for any help that you can give.

My mom's Dells runs Windows XP SP3. She tried to turn it on yesterday, but at start-up there was a message that said Windows did not start successfully. There were four options to choose: to start the computer in safe mode, in safe mode with networking, in safe mode with command prompt, and to start the computer normally. When I tried the first three, the computer starting listing (?) files, e.g.: multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\Windows\System32\Drivers\[...], where the [...] were different file names.

All the options ended with a blue screen that says:

STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

Beginning dump of physics memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for physical assistance.

As far as I know, the computer has not gone through any hardware or software changes. Well, a couple of months ago, there was some malware, but I think I got rid of it (in fact, I got help from bleepingcomputer; also, could malware have such severe effects months after?).

I looked up \SystemRoot\System32\Config\Software on Google, but I really wasn't sure what to do or how to fix the laptop.

Thank you again for you help, and please tell me if I can provide any additional information.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:58 AM

Sorry to hear of your Problems, hang in there, I think you need to be Transferred.

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 08:45 AM

The fix for that error message:

Corrupted Registry, Config.sys Missing or Corrupt - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Alternate source, same fix: C0000218 Registry File Failure - http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_repair_a_stop.htm

Louis

#4 ricciolo

ricciolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 08:29 PM

Thank you so much for your help! I followed the steps in the second link that you gave me, and the laptop seems to be fine now.

However, when it starts up, there's a message that say, "Please select the following operating system to start. [etc.]" and it asks if I want to use Microsoft Recovery Console or Microsoft Media Center Edition. The message screen goes away soon after and then the laptop starts up, but I was wondering if that indicated that indicated some other problem(s)...?

If you could answer my question, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again!

#5 ricciolo

ricciolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 08:33 PM

Also, is there any way I can find out why the registry/hive file went missing? Is there any way that I can prevent that from happening again in the future?

Thank you!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:45 AM

<<...but I was wondering if that indicated that indicated some other problem(s)...?>>

If you are referring to the screen indicating boot options...then that indicates that the XP Recovery Console is installed as a boot option on your system. Many systems which have been purchased from HP, Dell, etc...may have been set up this way. This is done to facilitate troubleshooting problems/situations where the user is unable to boot into XP or wants to facilitate access to repair procedures available in the XP Recovery Console.

The Recovery Console is also contained/available to users who have MS Genuine XP CDs. It is not normally available on CDs which are considered recovery/restore CDs and which have been issued by system manufacturers (HP, etc.) who do not provide a MS Genuine XP CD to system buyers.

Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

When the Recovery Console is presented as a boot option...the O/S is the default. If the user does not elect to boot into the RC, then the system boots into the default, which is Windows.

<>

No...and no :thumbsup:.

Corruption (another word for "damagage") to any file on a system...occurs for any number of varying reasons. It is not predictable and only becomes apparent to a user when it presents a problem.

File Corruption & Its Consequences - http://www.smartcomputing.com/Editorial/ar...3.asp&guid=

IMO...the best way to guard/protect against corruption or any other system anomaly which hinders functioning...is to routinely backup the Windows/system partition.

There are tools which one can use to backup the registry routinely, such as ERUNT Registry Backup Tool - http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html.

And there are tools which can be used to replace damaged/missing system files, such as The Sfc /scannow Command - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/.

But, IMO, backing up the system routinely is the best insurance against any situation which may impair/prevent system utilization.

Backup Options - http://www.onecomputerguy.com/install/backup.htm

Louis

#7 autorunhell

autorunhell

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 04:43 PM

In addition to the help you're already getting, you should really backup your files, just in case you need to reformat your system.

#8 ricciolo

ricciolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:21 PM

Thank you for your advice!

Is it better/easier to back up your information on an external hard drive or on a DVD? Unfortunately, I've been guilty of... never... backing up my hard drive... -_-;

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:04 PM

I think it's personal preference as to "how"...the important thing is to do so routinely.

Backup Options - http://www.onecomputerguy.com/install/backup.htm

Louis

#10 ricciolo

ricciolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 11:22 PM

This is SO LATE, but once again, thank you for your help and the information!

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:45 AM

Courtesies...are never too late...you are welcome, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users