Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer not booting in normal mode

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pk3

pk3

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:37 AM

Computer not booting past windows xp?
Been having this problem for a few hours now and have had no success in fixing it. The problem is that the computer will load to the black windows xp page, the bars on that page will load, and then it switches off that screen and prepares to load the desktop, but never does. The screen is frozen black. I can load the computer in safe mode and safe mode with networking, but that is it. I have not seen any error messages during startup/ blue screen.

I have tried these things to no avail:
- System restore
- Disk checking error thing (will not load past step 2 out of 5 during the error checking and actually made it where I could not use safe mode at all for a while)
- Using selective startup disabling anything but basics from loading
- Using diagnostic startup
- Using the RECOVERY disks that were made when computer was bought about a year ago (the first disk will load a blank grey screen as if it were going to work, but never loads)
- Using the recovery agent on the computer (says it is not available in safe mode)

Thoughts?

EDIT: Ok, I removed a ram stick and the computer loaded past the black windows xp screen to the password screen, where it let me put the password in, and then loaded my desktop back ground but NOTHING else (no desktop icons, start bar, etc). It will also not recognize my mouse after I load normal mode and have plugged in and restarted several times.

Edited by pk3, 17 April 2010 - 12:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:46 AM

If you have an XP Install Disk, try setting BIOS to Boot from CD/Dvd first, then let Windows Repair it, by chkdsk /r on the prompt.

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:57 AM

Hi pk3 -
I always use this code - Cut and paste into Runbox - Click OK - It is a full 5 stage check - It will reboot your system, so close other programs first -
It should run for about 30 mins-
CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30
Thank You - :thumbsup:

Edited by noknojon, 17 April 2010 - 07:58 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 08:40 AM

I suggest not using the diagnostic startup...and running chkdsk /r as others have suggested.

The fact that chkdsk /r did not complete...indicates a file system or hard drive problem, IMO.

My experience is that chksk /r always...always indicates why it did not complete, yet you do not post any error message that may have been received while running chkdsk /r.

If it doesn't produce an error message, but appears to stop...you need to give it more time to complete.

In lieu of chkdsk /r, you can run the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic on the drive, to see if the drive is OK. I think that I would do that, anyway.

Louis

#5 pk3

pk3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 12:06 PM

Ok, I removed a ram stick and the computer loaded past the black windows xp screen to the password screen, where it let me put the password in, and then loaded my desktop back ground but NOTHING else (no desktop icons, start bar, etc). It will also not recognize my mouse after I load normal mode and have plugged in and restarted several times.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 01:17 PM

Worth reading, IMO: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Possible-us...ed-t229790.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users