Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[HP Pavilion] Harddrive Not Detected Solutions?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 anderton3928

anderton3928

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:58 AM

The Situation

1. I am using an HP Pavilion desktop computer (not custom-built) running the Windows 7 operating system.
2. My model number is M9400F, if that helps.
3. I made zero hardware and/or software changes before this 'harddrive not detected' incident.
4. I was using my computer normally. Then I shut it down. Then I powered it on. After the BIOS finished its POST, this error was displayed:

"DISK BOOT FAILURE. INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

So this means the harddrive is disconnected/not detected. There are no operating systems (consequently no Windows booting) because the computer believes the harddrive is non-existant.

What I Know

1. Since I am using a Seagate harddrive, it has been known to become inoperable after a power on (consequently displaying this dreaded message). To prevent this, users were instructed to install a firmware update. It is too late now I guess?

2. HP Pavilion provides a handy hardware Diagnostics tool if you tap 'F9' while the BIOS starts up. It displayed a 'BIOHD-2' error.

3. I searched around the internet with this information and discovered it was possible my harddrive cables were disconnected. So I took apart the computer, and disconnected the harddrive cables, and reconnected the harddrive cables firmly. I even traced the cables all around inside the computer and disconnected and reconnected them.

4. I am extremely hesitant to spend money to either a) hire a professional computer repairman/service b) replace the harddrive. I might consider spending money to replace the data cable though (if that is the problem).

What I Am Doing

1. I called HP Support and realized my warranty expired.

2. I reconfigured the BIOS to prioritize booting from the CD-DVD ROM group. I have stuck in a Windows 7 Installation Disc, but then realized it could do nothing because no Operating Systems were found.

3. I am trying to use the "UBCD4Windows" (www.ubcd4win.com) which has been so helpful in the past. I am getting some build errors right now, but I'm wondering: even if I am able to burn an boot cd, would it be of any help at all? By harddrive isn't even connected/recognize? How could the boot cd rescue information off the seemingly non-existant harddrive?

Any suggestions and/or insight? All is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 06:20 AM

Remove all Power from the Computer, open it up, ALWAYS touch a metal part of the Computer to Ground youself against Static Electricity, remove all Cables from the MotherBoard, take note, later you will need to replace them, then remove the Battery, it looks similar to a coin? Leave it alone, just have a coffee and relax a bit for at least 10 minutes. Replace the Battery and all the cables to the MotherBoard, Start it up and tap appropiate key to get into BIOS, usually "F1" or "delete", find your Time and Date settings, they just went back to Default, as when the Computer was built, adjust them to Current time, then "Save and Exit BIOS".

Reboot should fix it, if not Post back. What I think it is, is that something has adjusted your BIOS, we just adjusted it differently?

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 17 April 2010 - 06:24 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#3 anderton3928

anderton3928
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 10:25 PM

No.

#4 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 10:42 PM

When you go into BIOS do you see Hard-Drive in the Boot Sequence? :thumbsup:

#5 anderton3928

anderton3928
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 04:58 PM

Well of course the "HDD Group" is the primary group in the boot sequence. I isolated my problem and discovered I am yet another of thousands of Seagate users who have a failed Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 drive, the firmware of which is bugged and gets locked into an infinite busy loop. HP warranty expired...Seagate refuses to fix OEM parts...new harddrive it is!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users