Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 han1599

han1599

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 01:11 AM

Last week I had viruses removed from my PC. This was the second time within two weeks. I was using Trend Micro Antivirus -Antispywar, since then it has expired. Whats the best malware protection? I am seeking free downloads today, but will be willing to purchase later. I am in school online and browse quite often. Please provide recommendations for both. Thanks :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 01:29 AM

- Avast! free antivirus: http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html
- Avira free antivirus: http://www.free-av.com/en/download/1/avira..._antivirus.html

Antispyware tools:

- Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (trial version is fully functionable): http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
- SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition: http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html

Edited by Broni, 17 April 2010 - 01:30 AM.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 01:33 AM

For realtime protection download Microsofts Security Essentials http://www.microsoft.com/SECURITY_ESSENTIALS/

For malware down load the free version of MalwareBytes and run only on demand one a week or when needed http://www.malwarebytes.org/

As a backup you can run Spybot Search & destroy http://www.safer-networking.org/en/ownmirrors1/index.html

All are free and offer pretty good protection as long as you keep them updated.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 han1599

han1599
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 01:35 AM

Thank you

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 01:40 AM

Thank you

You're welcome. :huh:

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 han1599

han1599
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 01:51 AM

Since trend has expired, is there anything I need to remove before installing others? Are they difficult to download

I am so new at this. What do you recommend when I decide to purchase?

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:17 AM

Since trend has expired, is there anything I need to remove before installing others? Are they difficult to download

I am so new at this. What do you recommend when I decide to purchase?

You should remove Trend from your computer if it is expired. Use the uninstall.exe that came with the program, it usually does the bst job of removing what it put there.

Well as for suggestions, you want to look for an Anti-Virus program that protects your computer and scans your email attachments and such with realtime protection.
But you don't want a program that does it with what we call bloatware (too many added attractions so to speak) or one that hogs resources while doing its job of protecting you.

Microsofts Security Essentials does not hog resources and does not come with (added attractions) You might actually like it and its free fully functional.

Also the other programs I listed above are great for spyware and malware scanning, Spybot is never offered for a fee, they just ask for donations to help keep things going and the program does work!

Samething with Malwarebytes, realtime 24 hour protection does require the purchased version, but the free version does work, but you have to run the scans manually.

Avast! & Avira I have never used as Broni mentioned above, so it is best he speaks about those programs.

By the way Broni I didn't see you were also posting to the thread same time I was, just took me longer to edit my typos. :huh:

So I would try those for a while, they are not hard to install and are pretty easy to use, pretty much the scanning feaures are right on the programs main startup page.

Just make sure you update them before running a scan, Security Essentials can be sheduled to run a weekly or daily scan at the time you choose.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 17 April 2010 - 02:26 AM.

#8 han1599

han1599
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:32 AM

This provides more clarity. I will take your advice and download. If I have any more questions I will contact.
Thanks again.

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 10:07 AM

By the way Broni I didn't see you were also posting to the thread same time I was

Not a problem :huh:

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:44 PM

How to uninstall older versions of Trend Micro products using the Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit?

Try that to see if it works on your version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users