Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Dual Boot

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 blueyearlight

blueyearlight

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 01:05 AM

Hi,

I want to be able to dual boot any partition like C: Does anybody know how?

An example, if I have two hard drives, I install Windows XP on one, then I install Windows XP on the second one.
The first hard drive I put it as master, the second one as slave. The master is seen as C: and the slave is seen as D: Whenever I want to change the hard drives, slave as master, then the system will see it as C: even if it was a drive D: before.

I would like to be able to do the same thing with partitions, so at the time I access any partition, the system see it as drive C:

I know there are a couple of things that have to do with that like the master boot record and a primary or active partition, but I still cannot understand why that's possible with hard drives and not with partitions if they are completely separate even if they are on the same drive, virtually they are two different drives.

Any idea on how to do that?.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:08 AM

Details of your Machine would Help us Help you.

Dual Booting is not a Problem, if done properly. When your machine starts up, it will give you the Option to Boot into any System you have, before going into Default.

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 08:32 AM

Windows...sees a dual-boot...in the following manner (example, I have XP on 1 hard drive, Win 7 on another hard drive, both XP and Win 7 on a 3d hard drive):

Whichever O/S I boot into...will always be seen as C: when it is booted into. Windows is set up to always see the active, working O/S as the C: partition (assuming that each was properly installed and there are no hidden/recovery/manufacturer partitions which gum up the works).

All other partitions will be seen from that C: install...as E:, F:, etc., depending on the order they are installed. They are ordinary partitions, when viewed from system partition which is C:.

There can be only one C: partition at a time and the C: partition changes each time a different O/S is booted into.

The infamous "local disk" name may be given to a partition which contains an O/S...but is not active, is not booted into at the moment.

The only type of partition that is normally designated C: is the partition containing the operating system. Doing anything else may result in confusion for Windows, since it expects C: to contain the O/S booted into and active at that moment.

<<...but I still cannot understand why that's possible with hard drives and not with partitions>>

Partitions/drives...same thing, as far as Windows is concerned. If there is an O/S on that partition and it is booted into...it will reflect the C: designation. I've installed two O/Ses on the same hard drive and each reflected C: when booted into.

The only possible complication that I can envision...is if some other type of partition precedes the system partition on that hard drive.

FWIW: There is no need to physically switch drives when a dual-boot is set up properly.

<<I would like to be able to do the same thing with partitions, so at the time I access any partition, the system see it as drive C:>>

Impossible...why would you want a data partition to be designated as C:?

Such would destroy any concept of organization used by any program and by Windows.

Obviously...I'm not understanding your intent.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users