Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hard drive worries

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 srb

srb

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 23 September 2005 - 05:43 AM

Hi,
This is my first time writing to a forum so forgive me if i get things wrong?

Okay. I have a pentium 1 200mghz computer running win98se, which is not on the internet, as I have access to that at work.

The problem I am having is that I have installed a 120gb hard drive to replace my 4gb original, but this is only being recognised as a 9gb drive.
Can this be fixed, prefferably with a free download to my internet computer and then uploaded to my home computer.

Hope this makes sense and you can help! :thumbsup:

steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 23 September 2005 - 01:52 PM

Welcome to BleepingComputers.com srb
Most hard drives come with software to address this limitation. Try going to the manufactures web site and download the utility. You may need to have several small partition depending on which BIOS your computer is using.
FYI: It's a good thing to have at least 2 partitions on your computer anyways. Put ME on one, C:\ and you music, data, pictures, anything you can replace on another drive, D:\. That way if your OS is corrupted to the point you have to reinstall you have not lost your creative work. Exception is if your hard drive dies.
If you need to download software at th house say to upgrade windows try one of the free ISPs Netzero, Juno,...10 free hours of dial up.
A good partition management tool I like is Digital Dolly. It is similar to Partition Magic but it's free. You will have to download it then burn it to a CD. It is fairly easy to use. No command line. It boots to a Linux GUI (Graphical User Interface).
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users