Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot/Shutdown Issues

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 JReich

JReich

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:55 PM

Alright I will try to explain this odd problem in as much detail as possible.

I'm working on a Toshiba Portege M750-S7202. The computer is currently running Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium.

The computer failed to work as of the last week or so. It would not boot up and I would get a variety of errors. Everything from blue screens to random error codes (System Configuration Error x00) and so forth. The sensible solution at this point seemed to be to reformat the PC. The PC was originally reformatted to Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium, and than upgrades to Windows 7. When it got to Windows 7 it had a concussion of errors. So rather than simply work my way through them with the Tablet PC I simply reformatted it back to Windows Vista Home Premium.

I than proceeded to install the drivers and so forth that the computer needed. Now the computer works perfectly when its running. There is no issues what so ever. But here in is where the real problem lies:

1) The only issue that can be found when the computer is running is that the PC cannot recognize the battery. I either get unknown when I hover over it or I get a warning that 0% battery power is remaining. However, when I unplug the AC adapter the computer continues to run perfectly.

2) Here is where the next set of issues come in and I'm assuming are somewhat interconnected with each other:
A) When I attempt to turn off the computer the screen goes through the shutting down process, and than the screen turns off but the fans and lights continue to remain on (the only way to shutdown the computer is by actually holding the power button down). Now I did appear to fix this issue. By installing through CD ISO Boot the newest version of the BIOS for the M750. Now when I attempt to shut down the computer it completes its cycle and shuts downs just how its suppose to.

3) So while that part is fixed the next part is not. When I attempt to boot the computer it goes through the BIOS screen just fine. It than proceeds through the loading bar for Microsoft Windows and as soon as that is done and it transitions like it normally should to the user login screen. It never quite makes it there. It goes to a black screen and will hang there for 5-6 minutes before turning off. ODDLY, when I hit the power button again the computer boots up to a "resuming windows screen" and than continues through with the full login process. (THE ONLY THING I CAN THINK OF: Which came to me while I was typing this is due to perhaps a faulty battery the computer thinks there is low power upon start up and puts it into Standby). I will attempt to remove the standby setting and report back with what happens.

Otherwise i'm looking for any additional ideas that anyone might have and appreciate your responses! Curious if it sounds like the battery to you as well or what you guys think.

ADDITION:

I changed the power settings from Balanced to High Performance. Than I shut down the computer (however, I had the same issues again attempting to shut down now it refused to do so). Also when I went to boot back up I wouldn't even get the BIOS screen this time it just remained black. Unplugging the AC/Battery and plugging it back in fixed the BIOS issue. Than I started and the computer booted normally. Than the computer returned its power settings back itself to balanced and the computer shut down normally this time when I attempted to do so.

Edited by JReich, 16 April 2010 - 10:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:03 PM

Okay, from what I've read, you are not having problems anymore. Correct?

1) Not really sure about the battery problem. Probably a problem/failure in the circuitry of the battery that is stopping it from communicating with the computer. Replacing it would be the only option I see.

2) Seems as though you've already solved this one.

3) The "Resuming Windows" screen you saw was the computer resuming from hibernation. I recommend you turn hibernation off.

So have you fixed everything (shutting down, booting up, etc..) besides the battery?
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 JReich

JReich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:09 PM

No, now the problem is back to shutting down properly, but the boot up isn't operating correctly. I'm thinking it might be due to a bad battery obviously. I understand what the resuming screen is from, and now I can startup using the same method that I described. Starting up than holding the power button once its stuck in the black screen and turning it on again. Which than the resuming windows screen comes up and the full boot operation is completed. Obviously that is not the right method but none the less it works.

Is there anything else that might be causing this problem? Or does it seem like it has to be the battery at this point?

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:13 PM

Or does it seem like it has to be the battery at this point?

How 'bout we find out? :huh:

Try leaving the battery out and just use the power cord. See if you still have the same problems.

#5 JReich

JReich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:21 PM

How 'bout we find out? :huh:

Try leaving the battery out and just use the power cord. See if you still have the same problems.

With the battery out of the computer and the "AC" adapter being the only thing that is plugged. When I attempted to boot up the computer I went to a black screen (It did go to a BIOS screen first) that didn't proceed any further. Holding the power button I shut down the computer and powered it up again. Than it went through the Bios screen and than through the resuming windows screen. Now the computer is starting up normally on the second startup attempt as it did before.

I have not tried turning off hibernation as you suggested above if you feel that it might make a difference.

Also, this time the shutdown cycle didn't complete correctly either. The screen is off and the computer is "essentially off" but the AC and the "Computer On" light still remains lit and the fan continues to run.

So nothing has changed. :huh:

Edited by JReich, 16 April 2010 - 11:23 PM.

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:38 PM

I have not tried turning off hibernation as you suggested above if you feel that it might make a difference.

Why do you think I told you to disable it? :huh:

Hibernation is still obviously involved here. Please disable it.

You need to go through your power settings and check to make sure something isn't set incorrectly. For example: what is the default action for pressing the power button?

Note: the symptoms you speak of (The screen is off and the computer is "essentially off" but the AC and the "Computer On" light still remains lit and the fan continues to run.) is typical of a computer going into hibernation. It can actually take longer to enter hibernation than it can to simply shutdown. Were you using the power button or the Start Menu to shutdown?

Follow the directions here under Item 6 only (those are the settings you should be using).

#7 JReich

JReich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:57 PM

I have disabled hibernation. The computer successfully shut down ...

However, now we have a new problem. The computer won't boot up period now. I get the Windows Error Recovery Screen. I have attempted booting up normally and with last known good configuration with no luck so far. Both options will go to the black screen that I've been getting. However, when I restarted the computer when it should work on the second attempt its not now.

ADDITION: Safe mode does work for getting me back into the computer.

Edited by JReich, 17 April 2010 - 12:00 AM.

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 12:10 AM

Okay, we know hibernation was causing the shutdown problems...

What is the exact error message you get when trying to boot normally?

Note: it is late where I am, so we'll pick this back up tomorrow. Let me know if you figure it out before I get back :huh:

#9 JReich

JReich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:10 AM

Its late here as well, and it will be awhile tell I get back on this.

But I get no error message. When the boot the first time I simply get to the Windows Green bar where it goes across the screen loading the OS. Than it goes to a black screen and sits there. Eventually the computer will just turn off. Once I either hold the power button and turn it off or wait for it to turn off all I have to do is hit the power button again. Instead of loading the OS again it will say resuming windows (even though I never actually had Windows loaded) and than the computer will boot normally.

However, I will need to turn hibernate back on if I wish to boot the computer in anything but safe mode currently.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:48 AM

Well if you are getting system configuration errors, I would try upgrading the BIOS on it, as it may not be compatible with Windows Vista and a current update.

#11 JReich

JReich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 01:51 PM

I did update the BIOS. To the newest version that is listed on the Toshiba Support website for the computer. It did appear to fix the shutdown part of the problem, but not the boot portion of the problem.

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:50 PM

boot portion can be caused by a cabling issue or a hard drive issue.

#13 JReich

JReich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:54 PM

Are you suggesting that its an internal hardware issue? Not fixable?

Without replacement parts, etc. of course.

Edited by JReich, 17 April 2010 - 02:54 PM.

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 03:07 PM

Is it still under warranty.

#15 JReich

JReich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 03:09 PM

Yes it is still under warranty, so there is no concern there.

My "hopes" was that the problem could be solved without having to go that route. But perhaps not :huh: !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users