Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should we laugh or cry?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 subtropical

subtropical

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:43 PM

I understand if the mods move this to the speak easy. But, wow...

The Washington Post

Boy, 9, accused of hacking into Fairfax schools' computer system

By Tom Jackman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, April 15, 2010; B06

Are you smarter than a third-grader? Because the online education system used by the Fairfax County public schools apparently is not.

Police say a 9-year-old McLean boy hacked into the Blackboard Learning System used by the county school system to change teachers' and staff members' passwords, change or delete course content, and change course enrollment. One of the victims was Fairfax Superintendent Jack D. Dale, according to an affidavit filed by a Fairfax detective in Fairfax Circuit Court this week.

But police and school officials decided no harm, no foul. The boy did not intend to do any serious damage, and didn't, so the police withdrew and are allowing the school district to handle the half-grown hacker.

For full story see this link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...0041404159.html

EDIT: To shorten quote to avoid copyright infringement and comply with fair use laws. ~ Animal
:-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 06:45 AM

That sure could be nice to keep a persons grades up. Makes me wonder though, how many haven't been caught?

#3 650038haig

650038haig

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:23 PM

smart kid schools know nothing about computer security most schools need a smart kid like that to help them make there security better

#4 Rorshack

Rorshack

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:38 PM

In my old school the admins username and password was, get this... Username and Password.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 VoidX789

VoidX789

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:12 AM

In my old school the admins username and password was, get this... Username and Password.

Funny. My school's computer lab accounts had Student, followed by computer number. Password was 1234. The admin account was student0, password 1234.

Also, we were hacked once. GEE, wonder how that happened *sarcasm*.
Welcome to the Void of Insanity
Posted Image

#6 Leader

Leader

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:31 PM

Wow that's an impressive article. Thanks for sharing.

#7 nqzdepofltr

nqzdepofltr

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:18 AM

How did he do it?
Probably by using an automated tool like Brutus or he discovered them somewhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users