Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Starter

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 madman666

madman666

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:43 PM

i have an asus eeepc 1005hab with 1gb ram that i recently installed windows 7 starter on and i noticed that it is having some problems with streaming video. the video and audio stutters horribly until the load bar gets all the way across then it plays just fine. never had these problems when it had xp on it. just wondering if this is a driver problem or not enough ram, or just an issue with the os and if there is anything i do to fix it...

many thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:38 PM

Well, after a look at Asus's website, it appears that they don't have Windows 7 drivers for that particular model, unfortunately. Only XP drivers.

Windows 7 does the best it can to provide basic functionality with the generic drivers it installs, but you really need the proper ones (chipset, audio, graphics, touchpad, etc...) to get full functionality.

Yes, it would possibly run better with 2GB of RAM (I upgraded mine), but without proper drivers, you aren't going to see much of an improvement.

Windows 7 is a great operating system, but it can't be enjoyed to the full extent if you don't have the proper drivers. It's just going to stutter and choke, especially on a netbook.

I would recommend you go back to XP as Asus does not provide Windows 7 support (i.e. drivers) for their older netbooks (as opposed to the new ones coming out with Win7 Starter preinstalled).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 madman666

madman666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 08:33 PM

damn. oh well. i guess i'll just put xp back on it. i think it's a better fit for that little thing anyways. they need to make a windows lite. just a little more updated and tweaked for netbooks. ;)

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:31 PM

Well, for a netbook with no Windows 7 support, you really can't beat XP. It's just better.

As I'm sure you've noticed from my sig, I have Windows 7 installed on my netbook (with XP dual-boot). Fortunately, Samsung has Windows 7 drivers for this model, so I have no problems. Yes, it still has the limitations of a netbook, but it runs pretty smooth. Windows 7 has a slightly larger footprint than XP, but it doesn't slow me down at all. The features inside W7 are so much more useful to me than what XP has. I use Windows 7 exclusively on it. Occasionally, I'll boot into XP and update stuff, but I'll always boot back into 7.

So yeah, putting XP back on it is your best bet at this point. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users