Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display problem Windows Media Center Nvidia

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nathani

nathani

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 23 September 2005 - 03:59 AM

Hello...I need some serious help.....My specs are Toshiba Qosmio G10 laptop running Win XP Media Center edition SP2 with Intel Pentium M 1.8ghz 1GB RAM, 100 GB HDD (2 drives, 60:40). I regularly download music for itunes using bittorrent sites and have approx 20 GB of music on my laptop.

Last night I watched a movie on a pirated DVD borrowed from a friend. If the following problem could possible be due to the DVD, pls let me know as this is the first time I watched a pirated DVD on my laptop and I am sooooo very angry at myself if this is the case.

I left AVG anitivirus running afterwards and went to sleep.

When I woke up, the blue screen was on and mentioned that there had been an error in the NVP_DISP.DLL file and a physical dump had to be executed. The computer waited until I woke up. Each time I rebooted the system went to the blue screen and had to be rebooted. I started it in Safe mode and eventually figured that I had to disable the display adapter which I did from the Safe mode in the Device Manager. Thereafter I am able to start but I have white vertical lines in sort of pairs in the beginning as well as in the Win XP logo (full screen lines) when the system reboots. I can see these lines on the desktop as well.

After disabling the display adapter, when Windows discovers new hardware, then it is unable to find the drivers. I also downloaded the uptodate driver of Nvidia from www.toshiba/ca/support website. And as soon as I enable the display adapter, the blue screen immediately comes on and physical dump starts and I have to hard boot and upon restart the display adapter is again disabled (guess the system is unable to remember it since the system hangs/goes to the blue screen).

The laptop starts but the video is slow (perhaps due to Nvidia Adapter having been disabled?...is that right???)....In the IE, the page up/down keys move the screen slowly than ever before.

This is the first time I have had such a major problem since Jan 05 when I bought this machine. I did get some crazy phone dialer virus in Mar/Apr 05 though.

I hope someone can help me fix this as I am very concerned and have been working at it continuosly for the past 5 hours....

Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kalyankg

kalyankg

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2005 - 04:38 AM

HI,
Re-Install window XP, and install the drivers of the laptop
It will help.

#3 nathani

nathani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2005 - 04:49 AM

Thanks for replying so quickly but won't I lose all my data if I reinstall Win XP??

#4 nathani

nathani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2005 - 04:51 AM

Could you also advise or give me your thoughts as to why such odd behaviour started suddenly?? with lines on start up, display not working etc etc...

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2005 - 06:59 AM

Use a Windows Restore date from before the system had the problem.

#6 nathani

nathani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2005 - 07:30 AM

Hi Enthusisat, I did the restore of one day prior and then again 3 days prior but both did not help. ...I still need a fix ...it has been almost 12 hours now....If I had to reinstall Win XP, then I wouldn't need any help. I need another solution please. Appreciate if someone could guide me. Thanks in advance...

#7 nathani

nathani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2005 - 12:30 AM

My system is still not able to use Nvidia GE Force FX 5700 adapter. When I start under Safe Mode and disable the Nvidia under Display Adapter, then I am able to start my laptop normally but of course the display is not good and all things i.e. icons etc. are slightly larger in size. I also restored the laptop to 12 days prior but still no use.

Is it that my hardware is malfunctioning???, in that case, I do not want to re-install Win XP, since that will not serve any purpose.

I am still getting parallel vertical lines when starting up and there is some flakiness (or disturbance or waviness) in the light blue screen (i.e. the sky colour) as well, towards the end of the boot up process.

I also get a STOP screen if I enable the video display adapter with error 0x0000008E and sometimes 0x0000007E. Also the last two numbers out of the four numbers following the above number are different when the error changes from 8E to 7E.

Please someone help in deciphering this.

Many thanks in advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users