Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Build problem...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zanthryx

zanthryx

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 23 September 2005 - 02:48 AM

Hey all, first post and all that jazz...

I recently came across a plethora of parts from a friend who's house was struck by lightning, thereby blowing most of his electrical equipment to smithereens.....was a wonderful smell...really.

He and I spent a weekend tearing apart 5 of his best computers and salvaging what we *thought* were good parts.

Of which the most important to me were the RAM, a video card, and a Case. He gave them all to me and wished me luck so I brought them home in an attempt to make magic happen.

Long story short I determined that the motherboard I had gotten from him was defective (would not trigger power supply) so I replaced with a known-good spare (MSI K7N2-Delta) and tried again. Power bleeps for a second then dies out again. So I went through the 4 Processors he gave me and all to the same result. So I replaced the PSU with an Antec 450W ATX v2.0 PS. This time the power stays on....but, nothing else. So I put in a brand new Athlon XP 3000+. Same deal. Tried swapping RAM with no luck, video card with no luck.

So I now have a New PSU, New Processor, what once was a good motherboard and should still be, RAM that tested fine in another system, and a good video card. And I can't get it to POST!

So now that you have the backround, what I am looking for is any ideas you all might have as to things I should try BEFORE I tear apart my other systems and try to isolate the very manual and very tedious way.

So here's the symptoms...

System will power up, but no BIOS beep codes, no post, no video that I can tell.

Any tips/suggestions for pre surgery testing would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 24 September 2005 - 01:34 PM

Have you checked that all parts are compatible. Incompatible parts should result in beeps, but I've found that the POST messages aren't too reliable.

Edited by Mr Alpha, 24 September 2005 - 01:38 PM.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 zanthryx

zanthryx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 24 September 2005 - 02:22 PM

Yes...the RAM, Motherboard, and Processor are the same pieces that I run my primary 3.2 on. The only difference is it's 3000+ proc instead of the 3200+.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users