Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help with car purchase!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 brooksey!!!

brooksey!!!

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:33 PM

Right,
I'm here because i need a new car, but I'm not sure which.
I know what i want:

Efficiency! BIG MPG

Space! Lots of it! lots of boot space!

5 Doors

Under 10,000, but can stretch to 15,000 (even if you do know of something thats over this (but not by a long way) please feel free to recommend it!)

I will be using it for general transportation, and shifting my drums to gigs ( I'm a freelance drummer) mainly.
I am open to all manufacturers!

GB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,733 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:28 PM

How about 6 doors? The Ford Transit Connect

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:32 PM

I would suggest that you look closely at a "People Mover", seeing as you are connected to Bands, through your Drums. Seats can be folded down to make extra carrying Space, but can also be used to carry extra people in a pinch, making it quite valuable in obtaining work. Many 4 cyclinder models are available for the economy aspect and handling is surprisingly easy.

Test drive a few and you will soon see.

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:57 PM

You might also consider the Honda Jazz. In the U.S. it's called a Honda Fit. It a mini-mini-van. I read that prices in England start about 10,000

Back seats fold down into floor wells. Should do well for the drum sets. I read that one person fit a full-sized U.S. washing-machine into the back.

Here's some reviews from England: http://www.roadtestreports.co.uk/full-road...ort/Honda/Jazz/

~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 01:37 AM

OB,

Years ago I was a very experienced Driver, I travelled many miles at Speed, just to get my Job done. I was the Sales Manager of a Farm Machinery Manufacturer, and covered the Eastern side of Australia. There was no time to muk about getting from point to point, so I used little Cars, like Datsun/Nissen 1200 and later, 120Y. They just flew, with great economy.

I first test drove a Ford Spectron, People Mover, as it came out and drove it to it's limits, as a Professional. It was seemingly twice the size to all, except me. I knew that is was just different configeration.

During the Test Drive, my first wife passed a comment, "Ray, this is a new car, you should not be doing this". The Salesman, onboard, simply said, "Let him be, he is selling me into selling this Vehicle". That darned Machine handled just like a little Car, with exceptions. I allowed for it's Height and wind resistances and passed that on to those that drove it after. Naturally I bought it.

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 06:57 AM

Like Animal I think you should look at the Ford Transit.

#7 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 03:04 PM

Around 10-15k?? Can we suggest Certified Pre-owned, Slightly Used, and Program Cars (These are usually the best way to buy cars from my experience, wear-in and related issues are already taken care of). If so here are some of my picks (US model names)

VW Golf 5 Door -fairly nice sized space for a car
Subaru Legacy/Outback -more space than the golf but worse economy
Ford Escape/Escape Hybrid -more space than the other 2 but the base model has bad economy, duh the bigger the more fuel it'll use, and the hybrid comes at a cost and comes in around the same fuel economy as the golf
Honda Pilot- about the same fuel economy as the escape and about the same amount of room inside too.

all these cars get between 20 and 36 MPG according to the US EPA

Posted Image

#8 cod head

cod head

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:33 AM

I would go for a car With a Turbo Diesel Engine.Around 2 litres then you will get reasonable fuel consumption compared with petrol and some decent acceleration as well.Don't buy brand new unless you want to pay through the nose in taxes and depreciation.Get one 2 or 3 year old.Look at a few different cars till you see something you are comfortable with.If you have a friend who is mechanically minded take a look at a few car auctions.That's were car dealers get their stock.You can even go to specific auctions like ones that deal with ex fleet cars that are usually well serviced by the company owners.There are even ex Police car auctions.Again usually well serviced.At the end of the day the choice is yours.

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,009 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 10:01 AM

I forgot to mention the fuel usage of the Honda Jazz/Fit. I'm going to use U.S. figures since that is what I know and am familiar with.

Miles per gallon range from 35 to 45 from what I've read on-line and from what owners have told me.

Also, if you can get a good used one, purchase price will be less.

~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#10 brooksey!!!

brooksey!!!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:18 PM

Around 10-15k?? Can we suggest Certified Pre-owned, Slightly Used, and Program Cars?

Please do!
Thanks
GB

#11 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,009 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 06:09 PM

I believe that many if not all the ones suggested here are also available used. I know the Honda Jazz is (unlike the Honda Fit in my area; no-one wants to part with them. They like them too much).

Here's a site that lists used Honda Jazz: http://www.honda-dealerships.co.uk/group-used-cars.php

Edit You can set parameters on the left hand side to limit the model and price range. My precise search would not transfer in the link.

~ OB

Edited by Orange Blossom, 21 April 2010 - 06:11 PM.

Orange Blossom

#12 BucketHead131

BucketHead131

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 04:22 PM

Get a dodge neon or focus car. Very good MPG and good car that last long time IMO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users