First off, thanks for any assistance you can provide. The situation has been worse before I make this post, but I've managed to kill most of the infection through other help sites. The problem that has been getting me is what came with the malware- a rootkit, as far as I can tell. MBAM and AVG both don't seem to detect any problems, but GMER detects problems with atapi.sys. I've already tried to fix it by using recovery console and a spare copy of atapi.sys, but as far as I can tell, it hasn't done a thing.
The source of the original infection was ave.exe. As far as I can tell, it's been taken care of, but the rootkit might be preventing me from cleaning up any remnants.
Symptoms (from what I've experienced already) are redirects from google, random new tabs leading to ad sites when firefox is up, and iexplorer occasionally popping up by itself (hasn't happened lately, though). In the beginning of this fiasco, pages have been closing by themselves for no foreseeable reason. Before that, due to the remnants of a previous infection, my address bar in explorer windows will reset after typing for a couple seconds and my computer won't go into standby or hibernate.
Combofix had been run to clear the original infection, and when I discovered the rootkit and replaced atapi.sys with a clean copy, I ran it again and it deleted some stuff, but the symptoms persist. I'll attach the last log I got from it with my other stuff, if it helps. TDSS Killer has been run several times, to no avail.
I'll acknowledge this infection is completely my fault, with my lax security updates and use of P2P programs. Sorry to cause you folks trouble with my irresponsibility, but I don't really have any where else to turn.
Again, thank you for anything you can help with.
Edited by plainoldconnor, 16 April 2010 - 05:22 PM.