Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

all my computer programs have been deleted by a virus

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 22em04

22em04

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 02:03 PM

I have installed the malwarebytes anti spyware program and performed a full computer scan. The scan found 5 viruses so I then restarted my computer as requested. When my computer started back up again all my programs have been disabled and i cant access them. This is everthing for example microsoft works, email, anti virus programs and all my other programs. An error message appears which says 'this file does not have a program associated with it to perform this task. Create an association in the folder options of the control panel'

This is causing me many problems and I would really apprecicate it if someone could help me to sort this. I did have the fake windows xp virus pop ups which i know arent the real thing but they have now gone so im not sure if this has something to do with it.

Thanks very much, Emma

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 02:16 PM

<<When my computer started back up again all my programs have been disabled and i cant access them.>>

There are a couple of known fixes for this, if this is the major problem right now...with malware not an issue.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm, try the EXE File Association Fix from the group listed.

WARNING: This involves a registry edit. Before proceeding with any edit of the registry, it is highly suggested that users back up the registry.

A good tool for doing so (before running the above) is ERUNT Registry Backup Tool - http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html

<<I did have the fake windows xp virus pop ups which i know arent the real thing but they have now gone>>

Did that occur after you did your attempted malware removal...or before?

Did you scan your system with your updated AV program...after using Malwarebytes?

Reason I ask is that I volunteered to to clean a couple of local systems that had various problems...and I found that Malwarebytes doesn't remove everything (nothing does, that's why several tools are needed to protect a system) and running my AV program afterwards...was a good idea.

Your answers will let us know how we might approach your situation, thanks.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users