Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bizarre Dell Latitude D610 HDD issues

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Techboy101

Techboy101

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 01:37 PM

Okay, so I've got this Dell Latitude D610, ten of them actually, and I have a syspreped deployment clone that has worked ever since I made it months and months ago. I've prepped around 15 laptops with it without issue but recently I received this batch of ten that has this bizarre tendency to apparently erase the HDD when I swap them in. I made a new clone and tried it again but no dice, it comes up with the same message "no boot device available" I checked the BIOS to see if there was some security measure in place, but I didn't find anything. I've ran OEM diagnostics on the HDD's and they all test without error. I can also build the OS on the system itself, but when I remove the drive all data is lost.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:59 PM

after you remove the hard drive have you hooked it up to a different computer to see if it is actually erased?
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:49 PM

What is the production date(s) on the Dells? BIOS revision? Hard drive specs?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 Techboy101

Techboy101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:58 PM

:thumbsup: Ahh, thank you for posting. Yes, I have verified the data is there on a separate PC. The Dell Specs. that you've asked for are as follows. . .

Laptop ship date: 3/4/2006

Bios Revision and date: A06, 10/02/05

HDD Specs: Fujitsu :trumpet: 60GB, 5400 RPM, PATA

I hope this helps :flowers:

#5 Techboy101

Techboy101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:28 AM

Late and Breaking News! ! !

So, I rebuilt the OS on one of these machines, installed all of the OEM drivers, and was almost finished updating the system. I rebooted when the pc asked me to after it finished pulling down another round of updates and then upon reboot it gave me the same d@mn message "No bootable Devices" :thumbsup:

Wow, all I have to say is Wow! The HDD OEM and Dell diagnostics both pass the drive without error, so I'm not leaning towards that. I'm beginning to think that it's the IDE controller on the MOBO or the MOBO itself.

Any thoughts?

#6 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:59 PM

any bios updates released for that model?

#7 powder_sullivan

powder_sullivan

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:08 PM

Even though the diagnostics test still say the drive(s) are good, my first instinct would be to try loading up windows with a drive that you know is fine.
Also after loading windows, does the drive become undetectable only after win updates?

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:32 AM

it most likely it is the ide controller i would try another drive to be sure that it does not detect them and then if it has the same problem then its the controller.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#9 Techboy101

Techboy101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:37 PM

I installed a new drive, tested with OEM Diags, and built the OS on it and fully updated it. Upon the final restart the drive came up as unreadable :thumbsup: Very bizarre. I had another tech take a look at it and we found that the HDD was turned off in the BIOS as a bootable option, for some god forsaken reason. At the same time, however, other example units also don't have the HDD enabled as a bootable option and are working without issue and have been for some time.

The IDE controller was my first thought as well, but we'll see how many more of these fail.

#10 powder_sullivan

powder_sullivan

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:43 PM

When the bios changes the way it boots, do you also lose the time, date and year? If no , then I would be looking for a bios update.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:16 PM

I'd be thinking...CMOS battery replacement if the date/time/boot data changed in the BIOS without user interaction.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 April 2010 - 06:12 PM.

#12 Techboy101

Techboy101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:01 PM

No, time/date is stable. I had considered the CMOS batt, but nothing really indicates that.

#13 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 03:25 PM

You still haven't indicated whether or not you are running the latest BIOS.

#14 noshitservices

noshitservices

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

I thought i'd register to give my input into this particular problem... I had a customers' D610 in the store this week and I initially restreamed Windows XP onto the machine and it worked a treat..... absolutely no problems... rebooted freely, no issues. I then installed SP2 and SP3 (without a reboot inbetween) and then rebooted the system as requested. At this point the "No bootable devices" error showed. I initially thought the HD had gone, but it seemed to suspect because there was no evidence of failing or failed hardware during the Windows installation. I then found this post and saw the original posters update concerning bootable devices... I missed it the first time because I saw the "Internal Hard Drive" listed correctly and pushed it to the top of the priority list. What I didn't notice however was that the "1. Internal CDRW" had this number next to it. Using the options I added or "activated" the HD as a bootable option and hey presto, machine booted post Service Pack 3 and continued. So whilst you might think you've added it back into the boot priority list, you have to actually activate it as well as place it in the order you wish.... a bit strange as far as BIOS settings go, but I just wanted to through it out there that I think Service Pack 2 or 3 is updating the software for Controllers or somehow causes the BIOS to dump the HD from the "activated" boot devices. Very strange, but thanks to the original poster for that little nugget of info ;)

Kindest Regards,
John H
Nosh IT Services

Edited by noshitservices, 30 November 2012 - 10:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users