Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is this for?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 One Dot Com

One Dot Com

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 22 September 2005 - 11:30 PM

I'm running Windows XP Media Center Edition. On my tuskbar there is an icon
"SQL Server Service Manager" What is this used for, and do I need it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2005 - 11:45 PM

Not unless your running or managing an sql server.

#3 kalyankg

kalyankg

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2005 - 11:50 PM

HI, SQL Server Service Manager, is used to start, pause, and stop the SQL server. SQL server is a database management service. this service automatically starts during startup, by default. if u don't want it to start automatically during startup then click the icon on the task bar and check out the checkbox for automatically start SQL Server. and coming to ur question, whether it is useful to u or not, I suggest that if u r interested in gaining computer knowledge and that too in the database management, it worths a lot to you.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2005 - 07:05 AM

Go to start>help> type in SQL

You should see something like this:
Using Data Sources (ODBC)
You can use Data Sources Open Database Connectivity (ODBC) to access data from a variety of database management systems. For example, if you have a program that accesses data in a SQL database, Data Sources (ODBC) will let you use the same program to access data in a Visual FoxPro database. To do this, you must add software components called drivers to your system. Data Sources (ODBC) helps you add and configure these drivers.

Open Data Sources (ODBC).

Notes

To open Data Sources (ODBC), click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Data Sources (ODBC).
For information about using Data Sources (ODBC), click Help in the ODBC Data Source Administrator dialog box.

#5 One Dot Com

One Dot Com
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2005 - 05:29 PM

Thank you all for your replies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users