Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Supplicating the Gods of Hardware for Wisdom

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RDF

RDF

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:56 PM

So my old machine is on its last legs and I'm looking to buy a new system. Of all the things it will be used for, gaming will be the most intensive if not the most frequent use. I'll also be doing some database work, but nothing crazy. My budget is about $1500 USD and I've gathered two options.

1 - CyberPowerPC's Megabundle 4 - $1500 - LINK
- Case: Apevia X-Dreamer
- Extra 120mm case fan
- CPU: Intel® Coreā„¢ i7-930 2.80 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366
- Memory: 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel
- Cooling: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan
- Motherboard: GigaByte GA-EX58-UD3R Intel X58 Chipset CrossFireX/SLI Support LGA1366 DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB2.0, SATA-II, RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI
- Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5830 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe
- Power Supply: 1000 Watts Power Supply (Xion PowerReal ATX Power Supply)
- Hard Drive: Single Hard Drive (1TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)

2 - Purchase from Craigslist - $1200
- Case: Cooler Master CM690 case
- CPU: Intel Core i7 920 (overclocked on air to 3.2GHz)
- Memory: OCZ Reaper HPC DDR3 memory, 6GB on 3 sticks for the best tri-channel DDR3 performance
- Cooling: 4 Noctua case fans (3 120mm and 1 80mm on the opposite side to cool the motherboard)
- Motherboard: EVGA X58 Motherboard (supports DDR3 memory and SLI video for Nvidia or ATI graphics cards)
- Video Card: ATI Radeon 5850 graphics with EyeFinity support
- Power Supply: Corsair 1000 Watt Modular Power supply
- Hard Drive: 4 Samsung SATAII Single-Level Cell Solid State Disks (SSD), configured as a RAID 0 drive for 400MB/s random reads and writes
- Hard Drive 2: 1 Seagate 1.5TB backup drive, mounted in a sound-dampening heat sink case

I've been out of the hardware game so long I barely know what to look for anymore. I would therefore appreciate any of your thoughts on the matter. Thanks and appreciation in advance!

Edited by RDF, 16 April 2010 - 01:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kalon Wiggins

Kalon Wiggins

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 01:12 PM

either sounds fine, but I prefer to stick with asus intel or worst case scenario msi motherboards personally. I haven't had the best luck with gigabytes. I don't mind them for an extra machine, but if this is going to be your baby, I'd get something with a better motherboard. Also with that raid0 make sure you do frequent backups. Raid0 is striping, which means if any one of your drives fail, you lose ALL your data, so you are quadrupling your failure rate in exchange for increased performance. Not saying don't do it, just saying remember to backup regularly!

Otherwise either computer sounds basically pretty good.

#3 madman666

madman666

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:46 PM

i would to a cross check on newegg to make sure the asking prices for either build are decent. otherwise they both look good.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 12:35 AM

Craiglist-you get more for your money. Im typically a gigabyte fan, but EVGA makes good quality as well, and if you look the craigslist offers slightly better graphics performance and exceptional cooling-I find coolermaster cases to offer some of the best cooling solutions on the market (personal opinion anyway) as faar as CPU, both chips are good, and stock the one in the CYberpower is a slightly better CPU, however theyre only one model number off, they are the same architecture and both can be overclocked as you can see the one from craigslist is. The liquid cooling is a nice feature in cuberpower, but not necessary I don't think. Course either choice wouldnt be bad, one thing to look at would be warranty. Which one comes with a better warranty?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users