Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Roommates computer is infected

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 sublimedude89

sublimedude89

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:39 AM

Hello again, I would just like a check up since my roommate's computer was recently infected by a few things. I also recently ran Malware Bytes and found a few things including a trojan so I just wanted to make sure I got everything. I also would like to inform you that I had problems running gmer. It failed 3 times in a row after about 2 minutes into the scan so that is the only log that I do no have. If there is anything else you need please let me know and thank you again for being here to help people out smile.gif

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 06:57 PM

Hi,

Welcome to Bleeping Computer. My name is m0le and I will be helping you with your log.
  • Please subscribe to this topic, if you haven't already. You can subscribe by clicking the Options box to the right of your topic title and selecting Track This Topic.

• Please avoid installing/uninstalling or updating any programs and attempting any unsupervised fixes or scans. This can make helping you impossible.

• Please reply to this post so I know you are there.
The forum is busy and we need to have replies as soon as possible. If I haven't had a reply after 3 days I will bump the topic and if you do not reply by the following day after that then I will close the topic.

Once I receive a reply then I will return with your first instructions.

Thanks thumbup2.gif
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#3 sublimedude89

sublimedude89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:28 PM

Thank you for responding so quickly and no I have not done and big fixes or anything to my computer.

#4 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:38 PM

Please run the rootkit scanner Gmer

Please download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:
  • Main Mirror
    This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)
  • Zipped Mirror
    This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.
  • Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.
  • Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.
  • Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.
  • Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.

• GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)
  • If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.
  • Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.
  • When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.
  • Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.
  • Exit GMER and re-enable all active protection when done.
-- If you encounter any problems, try running GMER in Safe Mode.
Posted Image

#5 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:56 PM

Hi,

I have not had a reply from you for 3 days. Can you please tell me if you still need help with your computer as I am unable to help other members with their problems while I have your topic still open. The time taken between posts can also change the situation with your PC making it more difficult to help you.

If you like you can PM me.

Thanks,

m0le
Posted Image

#6 sublimedude89

sublimedude89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:21 PM

I am still here sorry about the wait I have been a bit busy with school and I will be able to get you the log hopefully within the next 2 days. Thank you again for your patience and your help.

#7 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:41 PM

thumbup2.gif
Posted Image

#8 sublimedude89

sublimedude89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:00 PM

Here you go it finally worked after about 20 tries. I dont know why it worked this time and not all the other but o well and thank your for your patience smile.gif

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.log   4.1KB   2 downloads

Edited by sublimedude89, 28 April 2010 - 07:00 PM.

#9 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:33 PM

No problem. Please run MBAM on full scan and post the log.

Then run Superantispyware

Download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the Scanning Control tab.
  • Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen.
  • Back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan.
  • Click "Next" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes".
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

Posted Image

#10 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 06:21 PM

Hi,

I have not had a reply from you for 3 days. Can you please tell me if you still need help with your computer as I am unable to help other members with their problems while I have your topic still open. The time taken between posts can also change the situation with your PC making it more difficult to help you.

If you like you can PM me.

Thanks,

m0le
Posted Image

#11 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:34 PM

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this topic has been closed. Glad we could help. smile.gif

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact me via pm with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
Posted Image

#12 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:49 PM

Reopened at user's request smile.gif
Posted Image

#13 sublimedude89

sublimedude89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:59 AM

here is the logs that you asked for

Attached Files

#14 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:25 PM

SAS did its job and removed the adware from mywebsearch from the registry.

It's been a while since we were working on this log. Can you let me know what problems still exist on the PC.

Posted Image

#15 sublimedude89

sublimedude89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:46 PM

Well this was more of a checkup because my roommates computer got infected with a few things and we have shared files before I knew his computer was infected. I was making sure that computer did not get anything. I have some simple symptoms but they are very small and not that problematic. I have not been on it lately so I am unsure if the problems still exist.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users