Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Admin rights mess

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_amerkiller1995_*

Guest_amerkiller1995_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:16 AM

It may sound weird but i have 1 user account on my pc and there is a problem with it. When i edit system settings
for example
i change settings in msconfig
i click ok and get a message that i need to have admin rights to change these settings
i click ok and a window pops out that the settings have been saved.
i have been through a few infections in the past and i think that may be the problem source.
this topic is low priority

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:13 PM

What system settings are you changing?

Is using msconfig the only system anomaly?

<>

Well...did you run any scans (AV, SUPERAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes)?

Are all critical updates to date installed for XP?

Have you checked Event Viewer for possible clues...noted errors?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#3 Kalon Wiggins

Kalon Wiggins

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 01:27 PM

trying running a malwarebytes scan just to be safe.

Also, how did you check to make sure you only have 1 account? Is this because only 1 shows up on the startup splash screen? If so, rightclick your mycomputer, choose manage and go to local users and groups tab, expand the users folder and see what users are listed. There may be an 'administrator' account that is installed but not set to show in the startup screen. If this is the case, you may have to log in as this user to get the rights you need to make your changes.

#4 Guest_amerkiller1995_*

Guest_amerkiller1995_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 02:39 PM

What system settings are you changing?

Is using msconfig the only system anomaly?

<>

Well...did you run any scans (AV, SUPERAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes)?

Are all critical updates to date installed for XP?

Have you checked Event Viewer for possible clues...noted errors?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

hi :flowers:
i mean when i change settings everywhere
it doesnt happen when i run files or something just settings
my syste is 100% clean (norton, mbam, spybot)
checking the event viewer right now :thumbsup:

trying running a malwarebytes scan just to be safe.

Also, how did you check to make sure you only have 1 account? Is this because only 1 shows up on the startup splash screen? If so, rightclick your mycomputer, choose manage and go to local users and groups tab, expand the users folder and see what users are listed. There may be an 'administrator' account that is installed but not set to show in the startup screen. If this is the case, you may have to log in as this user to get the rights you need to make your changes.

i knwo the hidden admin account
except it is only my "Comp"
Posted Image
i went to hidden admin and made comp admin but it didnt change anything

#5 Kalon Wiggins

Kalon Wiggins

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:52 PM

If you have verified that your current user is part of the administrators group, and you are still getting rights errors, then something else is overriding your rights. This is most likely some kind of malware, possibly a rootkit.

I suggest you open a new thread about your symptoms maybe in the BleepingComputer.com > Security > Am I infected? What do I do? forum.

Nothing in windows but malware would be causing your issue. I understand you did some good scans, but not everything will show up on a scan, and rootkits are particularly hard to track down sometimes. Sorry for the non-answer, but you definitely have an infection.

#6 Guest_amerkiller1995_*

Guest_amerkiller1995_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:14 AM

If you have verified that your current user is part of the administrators group, and you are still getting rights errors, then something else is overriding your rights. This is most likely some kind of malware, possibly a rootkit.

I suggest you open a new thread about your symptoms maybe in the BleepingComputer.com > Security > Am I infected? What do I do? forum.

Nothing in windows but malware would be causing your issue. I understand you did some good scans, but not everything will show up on a scan, and rootkits are particularly hard to track down sometimes. Sorry for the non-answer, but you definitely have an infection.

i can edit settings and save them but before it says something like "settings saved" i get a message that i don't have he right and i have to log into an admin account.
ok i will start an infection thread :thumbsup:

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:52 AM

Now that you have made a post in the Am I Infected forum, Link, AII, I am closing this thread to prevent confusion and well-intended suggestions that would conflict with the fact that you have now reported this as a malware problem.

In the event that it is not and your system is declared free of malware...and you want to reopen this thread in the XP forum...send me a PM and I will do so at that time.

This thread is now closed.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 20 April 2010 - 11:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users