Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP boots into black screen w/ mouse after splash logo

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Thegucci

Thegucci

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:38 AM

Hello, first I appreciate anyones help on this issue. I can usually fix pc promblems myyself however this one has my stumbped. I run a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop with intel chipset and maxtor hd on xp sp3.
When the pc boots after POST it shows splash screen then when it blinks to show the welcome page, mine goes to black screen with mouse arrow.
Does with all configurations, safeboot etc.

Did fixboot-fixmbr- no change

It is possible I contract a virus before the incident= however I did have AVG running and nothing was brought to my attention. It seemed programs where locking up which is why I rebooted- then this problem started

installed fresh xp as a second OS, works fine but a little slow- I figured that rules out video issues.

in second OS ran antivirus- Housecall and Avira- However not sure its able to scan corrupted OS thouroughly

It is very important I get into the corrupted OS for personal files- however everywhere I read there is no solid sollution to what seems a common problem.

Im thinking a file is corrupted or the registry of that OS is just not sure what to do .
Im currently running the Windows File Protection service on second OS, however don't know if it will apply to corrupted OS

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:02 AM

Well...I would run the chkdsk /r command for the troubled install, from the second install. I would also run SUPERAntiSpyware on that partition, along with Malwarebytes. There is no one program that does it all.

IMO, it's always good to verify that the file system/hard drive have no known problems...before doing anthing more serious.

<<It is very important I get into the corrupted OS for personal files>>

Assuming that you don't have more serious problems...you can always move data files from the 1st install to the 2d install...to minimize any risk of data loss during analysis/testing.

To move files which are in the Docs & Settings group, you will probably have to take ownership of the files.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Louis

#3 Kalon Wiggins

Kalon Wiggins

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 01:38 PM

when you say you installed a 2nd os, did you install this on a new harddrive, or did you install it as a 2nd os on the same harddrive that you were using before? It sounds like you installed it on the same drive, so I don't know why the files on your original drive, now your secondary drive, would be unreadable.

Did you have them encrypted on your original OS? Are there ANY files that are readable from that partition at the moment? Be aware that the original drive may be defective. A Chckdsk may repair some errors, but you may find if the hard drive itself is failing, ghosting that original os to a new harddrive may fix the entire issue, if the files are still there.

Please let us know how your data drive(s)/partitions are configured now so we know how you are trying to access the data.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users