Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reusing win7 upgrade disk

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 psb

psb

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:27 AM

I purchased a Win7 upgrade (both disks 64 and 32bit) and I installed a custom upgrade using the 32 bit on an old WinXP computer that crashed and has been since been destroyed ....(parts used for other computers....except the HDD which was bad)

Can I put the Win7 upgrade on another WinXP computer that is working it is 32 bit as well (my wife's WinXP Pro)?
Or am I out $119 bucks for the Win7 DVD....

BTW: I have never used the Win7 64bit DVD

Thanks in advanced.... :huh:

I searched the Internet and prior posts but could not get a straight answer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,232 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:42 AM

If I wanted to know...I would just try it.

I have both disks also (family pack) and plan to try such eventually, since I had one install on a system I gave away (after removing the Win 7hard drive/install).

The answer should be pretty clear quickly.

Louis

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:50 PM

If you are no longer using Windows 7 on the machine you first installed it (because it's in the chop-shop or whatever), yes, you can install Windows 7 on another computer. The product key is good for ONE computer. If you remove it from the first computer, you can install it on a different computer. Read the full license agreement for detailed clarification.

Be sure to run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor before you put Windows 7 on your wife's computer.

If it gives you any problems activating, just choose the "Activate over the phone" option. That's always worked for me. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 psb

psb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 02:38 PM

Thanks to all

I guess I will try and use the 32 and 64 bit on other computers...again thank you all for your time and info

With WinXP (it is wiped out) you need a custom (clean) install and I need to live with my wife...so I will try a different computer :huh: :huh:

Edited by psb, 16 April 2010 - 02:44 PM.

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:06 PM

Haha...yes, a clean install is required. Good luck with whatever you do. If you have anymore questions, let us know. :huh:

You're welcome! :huh:

#6 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:10 PM

You can't use both the 32bit and 64 bit on different machines. The license is for one machine with 32bit or 64bit.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:13 PM

You can't use both the 32bit and 64 bit on different machines. The license is for one machine with 32bit or 64bit.

That's why I said to read the details of the license agreement for full details.....here it is:

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.
a. One Copy per Computer. You may install one copy of the software on one computer. That computer is the “licensed computer.”
b. Licensed Computer. You may use the software on up to two processors on the licensed computer at one time. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, you may not use the software on any other computer.
c. Number of Users. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, only one user may use the software at a time.
d. Alternative Versions. The software may include more than one version, such as 32-bit and 64-bit. You may install and use only one version at one time.

#8 psb

psb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:56 PM

Got it thanks.....I am not lazy but reading those contracts is above my pay grade...I only have two college degrees :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users