Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it the PSU or the M/Board

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 voip4africa

voip4africa

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:12 AM

I have a very weird problem. My computer does not respond upon booting. It powers up but there is no response - the monitor stays in standby, the activity light on the CD-ROM stays ON, but in a multi-coloured manner and there's nothing I can do.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks as if power is coming to the M/Board from the PSU but not returning to the PSU to boot up the PC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:06 AM

Reset CMOS/BIOS to default and try to reboot. Any beep codes?

I have had bad memory, bad CPUs, bad motherboards, shorted drives and bad PSUs all cause this problem. I usually end up swapping parts till it works, but I understand for most this isn't an option.

If it doesn't boot after a BIOS reset, open it up and check voltages at a spare 4 pin connector. Yellow to Black=12V, Red to Black=5V.
Unplug the hard drive, and CD/DVD drives, unplug all USB devices, see if it boots. Examine the board for any bad/swollen capacitors.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:57 PM

I agree with dpunisher's advice above.

I want to add that a common issue with computers today is oxidation buildup on connectors, this includes any add-on cards that are pressed into motherboard slots (e.g Video cards, sound cards etc.)

Try reseating every connector, through out your computer, this includes all power and data connectors to drives such as hard drives and optical drives.

All add-on hardware, such as video cards, sound cards, modems etc.

The power harness cable from PSU to Motherboard.

I have even gone as far as re-seating those plastic coated jumper connectors located around the motherboard, making sure of course I put the jumper back on the same set of pins it was on before removed.

The reason for trying this is to see if oxidation buildup on a connector may be the reason for your problem, in a lot of cases, it has successfully resolved a lot of problems.

It's worth a try. IMO

Good luck.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:52 PM

I agree with Mr Bruce look for any corrosion around any components or around the installation screws for the motherboard.

Can you take a picture of the inside of your case?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users