Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opinions?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Completely_Predictable

Completely_Predictable

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 22 September 2005 - 08:32 PM

Hi,

I've been toying with the idea of whether to put a different Operating System on the Second Hand and New systems that I have been selling occasionally.

Most people immediately dive into buying a copy of Windows, but I found a few are open to the idea of experimenting (and saving money) with something other than Microsoft. I've even had a few people walking away smiling with copies of Open Office.

So basically, I'm asking for opinions on operating systems other than Windows. Linux, Lindows...I don't mind, I'd just like to know what people think outside of my workplace.

Thanks
Manda

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2005 - 08:39 PM

Unless the buyer is fairly computer-savvy, anything other than Windows might present both a long learning curve as well as a lack of readily available information and support.
Certainly, providing non-Windows applications such as OO.o or Mozilla would not present the same problems as an entirely different Operating System.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Completely_Predictable

Completely_Predictable
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2005 - 08:53 PM

Yeah, that's what I'd been thinking.

All the same, it would be good if there were a systems that was out there that was fairly simple to use and with a good support systems. Some people just don't want such an expensive OS put onto an affordable computer system.

I've heard some good things about Lindows, but I haven't really been ready to put myself out there and reccomend in the customers yet. I've had a surprisingly large amount of customers asking about Linux lately.

Most of my customers now use Mozilla, AVG, Spybot and ZA rather than good old IE and NAV. I've started a rebellion :thumbsup: . I hardly ever have too many problems with them working out how to use it.

Manda

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2005 - 05:22 AM

Some people just don't want such an expensive OS put onto an affordable computer system.

You could get them an older OS like 98 or 2000 fairly cheaply. Perhaps that would be an alternative.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users