Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with Networking on XP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 adrianbayot

adrianbayot

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:53 AM

Hi there.
I have a laptop,a desktop and a router to provide them both with an internet connection.
Back when I bought them,I ran the network setup wizard on both of them so that they could share everything with each other...

Over the years everything was fine until the desktop started getting infected with all sorts of crap from the laptop(my friends and family use the laptop to download whatever and stick a bunch of infected flash drives on it.. :thumbsup: ).
I'd usually fix the problems before they would break the laptop but now I've had enough.

Is there anyway I could remove the network settings completely so that both computers will never be able to find or interact with each other but still get the internet connection from the same router?.. I hope I don't have to pay for and set up another internet connection just to separate them because that would be a waste of money...

I already turned off file/printer sharing for both computers but some people have told me that that won't save me from network viruses/trojans/worms..

Please help me.. I don't want to have to worry about my desktop while people rape my laptop. :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:10 AM

Do you have a Firewall setup on your desktop?

You should set your desktop to use the wired connection to the router, set the wireless to have encryption and to hide the broadcast name. You can un install the software on your desktop for the router. Now unless you create an AdHoc(computer to computer) network yourself, you won't be able to send files to each computer. Double check your shared files folder, make sure there are no folders left under sharing. Also turn on Windows Firewall if you haven't.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#3 adrianbayot

adrianbayot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:31 AM

Do you have a Firewall setup on your desktop?

You should set your desktop to use the wired connection to the router, set the wireless to have encryption and to hide the broadcast name. You can un install the software on your desktop for the router. Now unless you create an AdHoc(computer to computer) network yourself, you won't be able to send files to each computer. Double check your shared files folder, make sure there are no folders left under sharing. Also turn on Windows Firewall if you haven't.

Yeah, I have windows firewall turned on and I unticked the "file and printer sharing" box for both computers.

Unfortunately I can't set my desktop to a wired connection since my desktop's LAN/RJ45 socket is broken(my desktop connects to the router using a usb wifi antenna)..I have no choice but to use wireless for my desktop unless I get a new motherboard.

Both computers didn't need the router software installed,they detected the router automatically. My router is a Linksys WRT54G by the way..

Edited by adrianbayot, 16 April 2010 - 06:32 AM.

#4 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:35 AM

The computers wireless NIC(network interface controller) will automatically detect wireless signals inside its reach and signal type(b/g/n). The router software is most likely to control via a GUI(graphical user interface) the network connections, software/firmware updates, and wireless network settings like the encryption. You can also view which devices are connected to the router, to include xbox, Ps3..ect. If the GUI does not have these features, do not worry, some router software doesnt come that way. Ive installed the software for your router before, the setup process brings you to a GUI that lets you find and connect to Wireless access points, and shows your connection to the internet and the signal strength. It gives an easier to read layoutof the basic windows wireless properties(when u right click on the wireless connection in network connections) showing saved connection settings and automatically joined connections.

By the way, you do not need a new mother board, you can purchase a network card from best buy or similiar store. They are the 10/100/1000 (or similiar) netowrk cards. Ask the computer department they will know what your talking about. Here is a link to Best Buy for a Network card for 20$.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26%23174...p;skuId=8350802

Just make sure to check online or with best buy before buying, you need to get one compatible with your system. this one requires:
Plug-and-play installation in any 32-bit PCI 2.1/2.2 card slot

Here is the Manual for your Router:
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/media/i3d/01/...AL000000300.pdf

You can view/edit your routers settings here:
http://192.168.1.1

^If you had previously logged into this address and set a user name and PW, you must enter them to gain access to the site, other wise just leave the user name blank and enter "admin" as the PW (with no quotations.)

this information is in the manual on page 14.

Edited by s1lents0ul, 16 April 2010 - 08:56 AM.

==]--s1lents0ul-->

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:48 PM

Disable file and printer sharing on both computer, and you will be done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users