Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram usuage creeps up until system slows down

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 quantic

quantic

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 02:34 AM

Hi,

About a month ago, I reformatted my computer so I decided I may as well take the chance to upgrade from XP to Win7. So far, I haven't felt any major changes though I do like some small things such as the aero theme,"drag window to side to half maximise", etc. However, there has been something that irks me. For some reason, the amount of ram my computer uses slowly goes up over time. Eventually, I will end up with about 1.6-1.8GB/2GB ram usage when my computer is idle. Task Manager and Resource Monitor don't show any programs taking up abnormal amounts of ram and it just doesn't add up.

Here are the screenshots of the task manager and Resoure Monitor:

http://img404.imageshack.us/i/task1.png/
http://img33.imageshack.us/i/task2n.png/
http://img171.imageshack.us/i/resource1.png/
http://img228.imageshack.us/i/resource2.png/

I googled this problem and I came across threads where people said Windows7 wasn't releasing the ram so commonly used programs can load faster. When a program requires more ram than available, then the computer would release it. However, when I reach an idle ram usage of about 1.5GB and I open something like VMware, Modern Warfare2 Multiplayer or even a 720p video, my ram will reach 98-100% usage and the computer will experience quite a bit of lag (the 720p video will start "jumping"). This lag isn't there when my computer's idle ram usage isn't so high.

The only way (that I know of) to release the ram is to restart the computer. Then the idle ram is at about 700-900MB/2GB

Edited by quantic, 16 April 2010 - 02:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:53 AM

Can you post your system specs?

#3 quantic

quantic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:36 AM

Motherboard - Gigabyte P35 DS3
CPU - E6750
RAM - 2 x 1G-667 Kingston
HDD - WD 500GB SATA, WD 1TB Green, External 1TB WD My Book
GPU - ASUS 8600GTS

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:57 PM

You will need more RAM for VMWare and what not.

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 01:02 PM

Yes, 2GB of RAM is inadequate for running a virtual machine, gaming, HD video, etc....

2GB is the bare minimum Microsoft recommends using for Windows 7. If you stick a pair of 2GB sticks in there (for a total of 4GB), I'm sure you will see a marked improvement in performance. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:00 PM

Matching Ram would be a lot of help. My Windows 7 Home Premium woke up with 4 gigs of ram. I'm not a expert but it worked for me.

#7 quantic

quantic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:30 AM

Well, 4GB RAM is relatively cheap nowadays so getting that won't be a problem. I'm just saying that I find it strange how my computer's RAM usage just keeps rising as I open and close programs until it reaches the point where I'm forced to restart the computer since performance starts dropping. I never had this problem on XP with the same programs. Once I even left the computer on for 1-2 weeks and it was still going fine. I wouldn't be surprised if this problem persists when I upgrade the RAM but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

#8 confusedclive

confusedclive

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 08:43 AM

Is your win 7 Home premium or other. Is it 32bit or 64bit
If it is 32bit there is no point in adding more than 1GB more ram giving 3GB as with 4GB your will only get to use 3.5GB anyway.
If your computer spec is compatible I would recommend using 64bit as can use much more ram and will use the whole 4GB if only increase to that.

regards Clive
:huh:

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 11:09 AM

If it is 32bit there is no point in adding more than 1GB more ram giving 3GB as with 4GB your will only get to use 3.5GB anyway.

Exactly. 3.5GB, or even less, depending on machine configuration.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#10 quantic

quantic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 10:42 PM

Ah darn. I installed the 32 bit version since I only had 2GB ram. I don't particularly feel like reformatting again so soon.

I just downloaded the FreeRAM XP Pro and so far it seems to be keeping my ram usage low. Hopefully, there aren't any associated adverse effects.

#11 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:40 AM

Windows 7 32 bit can use 4 gb of ram, 64 bit can use 8gb to 192gb depending on version of Windows 7 your using Max Memory limits for windows 7 and if you have a video card with memory it will reduce the amount of available memory your system can access Max ram/Useable ram

Edited by sleepwalker, 21 April 2010 - 01:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users