Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU 80-100%

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 bloodymary

bloodymary

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:18 PM

My girls computer is a Dell Inspiron 1721 laptop, she has reformatted it and ever since then the computer has lagged. I don't know what drivers she has and dont have, I have checked her task manager an her CPU usage is around 80-100% constantly. but, the thing is she dont always lag. somedays it runs like new an other day it takes minutes just to open a window. I was thinkin its a driver issue but thanks to dell you dont know what drivers u need an 1s you dont need or even if they to old to even use since most of them was created back in 2007. We play san andreas multiplayer...well we used to since she lags like hell now randomly, she tried to run an it just barely even moves at all, takes prolly 5 min just to run a block.
What ever u need to check what it wrong with this computer I can get, i have access to the computer for anything.

the thing that has my boggled is its random from little lag, tons of it that kicks her from server, to perfect sooth gameplay. Its not just the game tho if the game is laggin her whole comp is lagging an vice versa.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:57 PM

Have you checked Task Manager to see which processes are using the CPU so heavily? If you determine which processes are sucking CPU then you can try to figure out why. They may be processes that don't need to run or shouldn't be on the computer at all.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#3 bloodymary

bloodymary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:20 PM

This is the processes that are running, i had to use two screenshots to show all of them the 2nd SS starts at the highlighted mark. (12 svchost.exe)

Attached Files

• Attached File  yaya.jpg   179.16KB   27 downloads
  • Attached File  ok.jpg   113.54KB   23 downloads

#4 bloodymary

bloodymary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:13 PM

can i get some help here please, this has been haunting us for months now. If you need any logs of anything just tell me.

#5 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:22 PM

What is xfire.exe? Besides the System Idle Process it seems to be using the most CPU at 25%...
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:43 PM

Hi bloodymary and welcome to bleeping computer!

Please follow my instructions below so we can see what programs are starting up with your computer.

Click on the Start button.

If you have windows 95 through Windows XP look for the RUN command and type msconfig into the field and press Enter.

If you have windows Vista or Windows 7, type msconfig into the field where it says search programs and file, choose msconfig.exe from the menu that pops up and click on it.

Once the system configuration window appears, look for the tab that is labled Startup

Do not make any changes here, but while this window is opened please take a screen shot showing what is in this list and post it in your next reply.

Thanks.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 16 April 2010 - 10:45 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 bloodymary

bloodymary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:37 AM

Thanks for your reply and assistance, here is the screen shot of her startups. All of them are checked.

Attached Files

Edited by bloodymary, 17 April 2010 - 02:48 AM.

#8 bloodymary

bloodymary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:09 PM

can anyone help me here please, i have been logged in to this forum since my 1st post an not much action followed out. i work from home so im on here when im awake waiting for a reply. I would imagine there isnt much that needs to be done to figure out this issue, Thanks for the help. Mainly i just need to figure out what is holding back this computer from running like it should.

Edited by bloodymary, 18 April 2010 - 11:13 PM.

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:14 AM

Alright, I dont see anything offhand that should be causing that much lag from your processors or msconfic, other then your running both superantispyware and windows defender. programs like this often conflict, especially windows defender. I would disable one or the other for now.

You mentioned you think it may be a drivers issue, but failed to mention what OS you are using.
the vista drivers for that laptop are here
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...tid=&impid=

XP drivers can be found here
http://www.getpcmemory.com/drivers/downloa...ows-xp-drivers/

Focus primarily on the chipset, graphics, sound and network drivers.

If the drivers are not the issue, then I would then check the temperature of the laptop, if it is overheating it would cause lag. I would download HWmonitor from CPUID here http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php and check the temps and post those back here for us.

If these steps fail to help, there are more things we can check, so try downloading the proper dirvers (uninstalling the old ones first) disable one of the antispyware programs, in my mind, preferably windows defender, and check your temperatures, and report back to us the results, good or bad, and we shall go from there.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#10 bloodymary

bloodymary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:02 PM

Ok i have installed all the drivers that was needed into the computer, disabled both the antispywares on startup since we are trying to find the culprate to this an still nothing. here is the HWMonitor log.

Attached Files

#11 bloodymary

bloodymary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:10 PM

Please don't hesitate to reply when u can, i am on here waiting most of the day.

#12 bloodymary

bloodymary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:45 PM

Still no actual help for 7 days now, i have gave you guys what you asked for but no responses to any of them. I know this is a busy Forum but I see people getting there problems solved within hours. I just need a little guidance of what i can do for this computer to make it run new again, simply something running wrong or anything.

Edited by bloodymary, 22 April 2010 - 04:46 PM.

#13 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 05:45 PM

sorry I do apologize this got lost in the shuffle. were those temps taken during gameplay or while it was sitting there at idle? They seem ok. Which brings me to my next question, how full is the hard drive? and when you reformatted, did you by any chance remove/replace anything?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#14 bloodymary

bloodymary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:39 PM

That was idle, the hard drive still has over 100 GB left, only thing we did when we reformatted was installed the drivers from dell website. installed k-lite media codecs, firefox, fully updated Vista with all the updates and gta:sa-mp. none of the hardware has been touched.

#15 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:07 PM

Can you try getting the temps while the game is running? like when it starts to lag alt tab out perhaps? also, what do you have for background programs running, like antivirus software, firewalls, etc.?

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users