Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Not Booting?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 WinXPKid129

WinXPKid129

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:05 PM

My mom has a Windows XP SP3 PC. Windows did not show that the CD drive was connected. It wouldn't open, and the green light wasn't working just below the actual CD drive.

She opened it up. She had also noticed before this that the front of the computer was loose. She also put some new RAM in. After she turned it on. The motherboard was beginning to set on fire. It was very small. After she was hesitant, of course, about turning it on. She finally did.

She reconnected all of the USB's and then she turned it on. The Windows XP Power light is now solid orange, and when you turn on the monitor it reacts like it would if the computer was turned off. She has tried disconnecting the usb cables, and that didn't work. She can turn it off and on, but the power light is solid orange when turned on. She has reconnected it many times and it still doesn't work. Any solutions?
WinXPKid129

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:30 PM

The motherboard was beginning to set on fire

Wow ok was it really on fire and where was it coming from. also i would say that at this point your motherboard is fried literally. also you shoulnt really be opening up a computer unless you know what you are doing.

Ok now what is the system manufacture and model?

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 WinXPKid129

WinXPKid129
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:58 PM

The motherboard was beginning to set on fire

Wow ok was it really on fire and where was it coming from. also i would say that at this point your motherboard is fried literally. also you shoulnt really be opening up a computer unless you know what you are doing.

Ok now what is the system manufacture and model?

I didn't open up the computer first of all, my mom did, and the model is a Dell Dimension 3000

it is 5 or 4 years old

Edited by WinXPKid129, 15 April 2010 - 07:58 PM.

WinXPKid129

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:00 PM

ok now how much ram was put in it and also are you sure it is the correct ram also you may have knocked a cable loose and it is shorting and causing this.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:29 PM

IMO...when a system obviously has an electrical problem...you need to take it in to a local computer shop...where they can test/evaluate and have some idea of what is wrong.

Louis

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:10 PM

IMO...when a system obviously has an electrical problem...you need to take it in to a local computer shop...where they can test/evaluate and have some idea of what is wrong.

Louis

Yes, we cannot solve this problem over a forum. It needs hands-on, professional work done on it.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#7 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:42 AM

Yeah that is definantly an electrical problem. A really bad one at that.

sigcomp.png 

#8 WinXPKid129

WinXPKid129
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:56 PM

ok now how much ram was put in it and also are you sure it is the correct ram also you may have knocked a cable loose and it is shorting and causing this.

i put in 1 GB of RAM...
WinXPKid129

#9 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:45 PM

I wonder if she put in DDR2 RAM instead of DDR. Different nr of pins.
You dont happen to have the paperwork for that New RAM do you?

Edited by rosiesdad, 16 April 2010 - 08:45 PM.

#10 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:49 PM

hamluis, keyboardninja and others are exactly right, it does need "Hands on" treatment for your both own personal safety. Voltage is not what kills people, ampherage is. It can cause a massive Heart Attack, or correct one with just nine Volts. Refer to how Hospitals revive Heart Attack Victims and consider that just simple "Static Electricity", with no Volts, generated by Humans can "Fry" a MotherBoard in an instant. Just replacing the RAM, without first grounding oneself can cause massive Damage. Most people with knowledge of Computers will ALWAYS say, "Before touching anything within the Case, ALWAYS ground yourself by either an anti-Static Strap, or touching a Metal part of the Case." That is advice learnt the hard way by many people.

"Smoke or Fire" should never be ignored in any thing to do with Electrical Components. Electricity is a silent Killer that we just can never ever "See". Downed Power Lines look "Harmless?" So can what you have now.

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 16 April 2010 - 10:22 PM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#11 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 774 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:30 PM

yup...they only put a certain amount of smoke in those things and if you let that smoke out it will stop working, and you can't get that smoke back in!

#12 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:41 PM

While it may be true that amperage passed thru the heart is what kills you it is also a very misleading statement because the voltage applied is what determines how much current (amperage) will flow. The 5V or 12V found on a computer motherboard is insufficient voltage to overcome your skin resistance to allow an appreciable amount of current to flow. All of the lethal voltages in a computer are contained within the power supply. As long as you do not open the power supply you will be perfectly safe. You are more apt to get burned on a component that is running hot than shocked.

Back to the OPs issue, how did your mom determine it was the motherboard that was on fire? Could it have been the power supply? Did she see actual flames or see and smell smoke?
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#13 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:42 PM

yup...they only put a certain amount of smoke in those things and if you let that smoke out it will stop working, and you can't get that smoke back in!

Ahh yes...the "mysterious blue smoke" I've heard about before... :thumbsup:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#14 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 12:12 AM

While it may be true that amperage passed thru the heart is what kills you it is also a very misleading statement because the voltage applied is what determines how much current (amperage) will flow. The 5V or 12V found on a computer motherboard is insufficient voltage to overcome your skin resistance to allow an appreciable amount of current to flow. All of the lethal voltages in a computer are contained within the power supply. As long as you do not open the power supply you will be perfectly safe. You are more apt to get burned on a component that is running hot than shocked.

:thumbsup:

So, keeping it towards Computers, you mean that "Static Electricity" or other Electricity, can not harm you or a Computer? I can not agree there. "Static Electricity" will KILL a Motherboard in an instant., there are no Volts in "Static Electricity", it has also been known to Kill Humans, just the simple "Shock" of it's effect. That is very Elementary, so I Googled it.

CONSERVATION OF CHARGE

When we charge something with static electricity, no electrons are made or destroyed. No new protons appear or disappear. Electrons are just moved from one place to another. The net, or total, electric charge stays the same. This is called the principle of conservation of charge.

http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/static.html

I am actually more interested to Help someone out, rather than this.

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:31 PM

I wonder if she put in DDR2 RAM instead of DDR. Different nr of pins.
You dont happen to have the paperwork for that New RAM do you?

They are keyed differently, so you really cannot do that unless you get a hammer and chizzle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users