Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphic Card installation

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 06:57 PM

Okay just in case I run into this in the future...

Lets say a motherboard had a bad on-board Graphics card. So I install a bus type Graphic card.

How is the info going to come unto the screen, if in the BIOS it was set up to be in the on-board card.

Does it autamatically look for a bus card before jumping into on-board card? :flowers: \

or will I need to clr the C-mos?

WEll thanks :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:12 PM

with most modern motherboards it should, in theory automatically detect the dedicated card. If it doesn't, then I would try a CMOS reset. If that doesnt work, then its hope to luck the integrated works long enough to get into the BIOS to change the settings.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:18 PM

The computer will by default, load the on board video controller unless specified otherwise through your BIOS. In the BIOS you should look for if its set to on-board, PCI or PCIe

Just for additional information, recently i reinstalled windows on my computer, i had installed a PCI video card before the new OS. When i re-intalled windows, the BIOS was still set to PCI. The video worked also, without the drivers installed yet. When i switched the video to the onboard connection the video did not work untill i changed my BIOS from PCI to onboard.

<EDIT>Sorry if i stepped ontop you Patriot, when i went to reply no one had yet.

Edited by s1lents0ul, 15 April 2010 - 07:20 PM.

==]--s1lents0ul-->

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:38 PM

hehe no worries done it myself a few times. And your right, many motherboards are set to recognize the integrated card, particuarly older ones. however, most newer boards (not all) are getting to the point they will boot up a dedicated card without making changes in the BIOS. Not all, but its one of those things where if you cant access the BIOS you just have to find out by trial and error.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:50 PM

:thumbsup:
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#6 JUICYboy

JUICYboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 01:20 PM

wow thanks guys..

Okay so I if I so happen to run into a old M.B. with a bad Graphics, and I can't get it to show anything in the screen thru the On board graphics, or the dedicated because bios is set to on-board.

I try to clear C-mos and it does not work, what is another Good Option?

Or do I have to get a new M.B.

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:57 PM

probably have to replace the motherboard. If its set to by default to load the integrated, and the integrated is bad, then no matter what you do you wont be able to change it. If the default is to look for the dedicated first then resetting the CMOS will fix it, but if not your out of lucky. Sorry. Though, in all honestly, integrated video cards are usually combined with the motherboards chipset-chances are if the integrated video is out, the motherboard itself is bad. not a 100% garentee, but prolly like a 85% chance that the whole board is bad.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users