Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Pro disk space

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 larryq22

larryq22

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:26 PM

I recently did a clean install of Windows 7 Professional to replace Vista SP2. The new OS occupied 42G of disk space. I'm thinking this is a bit much. What is the "normal" experience?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:48 PM

This is probably because you did not officially format the drive. If you do a clean install on top of a previous OS with actually formatting, it will stick everything from your old OS in the Windows.old folder and take up tons of space.

A while back, I experimented with clean installs of the different editions of Windows 7 to see if higher editions would take up more drive space. See here.

You can use Disk Space Reporter to tell you what is using up your hard drive space.

A clean install should take up less than 10GB. I'll bet all that extra is in the Windows.old folder, which you can safely delete if you don't have any data you need from your old install.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 06:30 PM

:huh: to Bleeping Computer, by the way. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:33 AM

My dual-boot with XP (separate drives) on this system...I made the initial partition 35GB, currently show 17GB of free space on same.

My install of Win 7 Home on Dell laptop...reflects a 6.5GB Windows folder currently.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users