Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RTL8192SE on F12

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 MuckDuckJoe

MuckDuckJoe

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:59 PM

I haven't used Linux since Redhat 5 so I might as well be completely new as I've forgotten all the command lines.
I just bought a Toshiba A505-S6004 and put Fedora Core 12 on it.
The Wireless NIC is RTL8192SE
The Linux driver is found at http://www.realtek.com/downloads/dow...oads=true#2302

I went through the steps here and appear to have the driver installed but no wireless networks are being picked up automatically. I put in my SSID and chose the security level but it never fully connects. At most it will ask me for the password again which I am absolutely 100% sure is correct, and gets stuck in a loop asking for that. I am using WPA2-PSK
http://www.linwik.com/wiki/using+the...with+fedora+12

Also, I tried the NDISWrapper but it stated in the instructions:

You need a recent kernel, at least 2.6.16, with header files for the
kernel. Make sure there is a link to the kernel source from the modules
directory. The command

ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build

should have at least 'include' directory and '.config' file.

I don't have an "include" directory or ".config" file there. Could that be what is wrong?
I hooked up the laptop to Ethernet and connected immediately and downloaded ALL the software updates available.

I installed the linux driver from Realtek (mentioned earlier in the post) by going into the directory and doing
make clean
make
make install
(I might have left out a step from memory in writing this)

It appears to have installed, but no networks are appearing in the Network Manager applet. Should it not be showing all available networks like Windows does?

Edited by MuckDuckJoe, 15 April 2010 - 04:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users