Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

malware disabled searching capabilities

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Duls

Duls

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:21 PM

hey guys!

I'm working on a laptop running Windows Vista Home Basic for a friend of mine. She had the LIVE PC CARE virus and was begging me not to reload her system if at all possible. The virus looked pretty easy to remove, so i used MBAM and it seems as though it is gone. Can't find a trace of it anywhere. However, now i can't use any internet based search engines. when i type in www.google.com i get the cannot be displayed message. i can go to the front page of yahoo! however i can't search for anything as i get the same error.

I pinged google on my personal laptop and got an ip address and placed that in the address bar of my friends computer and it seemed to work, but i still could not perform a search, only see the front page.

So far I have reset the settings to default on IE8 (currently on the machine), I have loaded Firefox and attempted to access it there (also did not work), and I have attempted to reinstall IE8. I cannot delete the Internet Explorer folder in the C:\ as it states i need permission-but i was logged into the administrator account. So I have not been successful in reinstalling.

If the best option would be to reload from scratch, I'll have to do so, but I would really like to find a way around this problem if at all possible.

I have AVG9 Free Edition, MBAM, Spybot S&D, and CCleaner on the laptop as of now. None of the scans find a virus since my first removal with MBAM. But I'm beginning to wonder if its really gone? Or is there another virus on the computer...

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I am a PC Technician, but some viruses just rack my brain :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users