I have a virus or malware / spyware. I have something. Just not sure what.
Last night, I was looking for spoilers on the TV show lost and (stupidly) clicked on a link I didn't recognize through my Google search. Immediately, my browser began refreshing rapidly through several websites. And a window popped up from AVG saying, "Threat Blocked." (see image)
I ran AVG and the scan came back as no infections.
I ran Malware bytes. Same thing. No infections.
I also ran Hijackthis - no infections.
Meanwhile, during my scans, every minute or two, I would suddenly have a IE browser pop up with a commercial website. I didn't have IE open, so I know this was part of the infection that my scanners weren't picking up!
Then my PC froze. I rebooted (unfortunately).
I've run the scanners a couple times, still no infection found. But I keep getting a "Just-In-Time Debugging" window pop up on me, and I've never seen it before last night. I always close it out and never answer it.
What do I do? Where do I start?
I am running WinXP
Here are some other things I've done since the infection (besides run the scanners):
1. Used System restore - picking a date from 3 days ago.
2. Uploaded all my photos that had not been recently backed up to photobucket.com
3. Backed all my music up on my MP3 player.
4. Burned 3 rewritable discs with my non-backed up business files.
5. Currently backing up my home videos (*.mov) to a non-public domain I own.
I think that's it.
Edited by Queaker, 15 April 2010 - 12:59 PM.