Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shrunk screen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 srittenhouse

srittenhouse

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:15 AM

I have a gateway laptop that is about 3 years old (XP), yesterday I turn it on and the desktop screen has shrunk inside the monitor. There is about 3 inches of black on the side and an inch on the bottom. I've played with the display settings and tried a system restore to an earlier date. Nothing. Someone told me that this means its about to die and someone else said it meant that its been hacked in to and needs to be manually cleaned by a professional. Any ideas????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:13 AM

what model or serial number is the gateway?

If the resolution is set lower than the optimal for the lcd screen it can shrink. Some gateway laptops have a bios setting that will allow a low res resolution to stretch to fill the screen.

Shrunk screen is not normally an indication of either a hack or a hardware fault but I suppose it is possible...

It is most often an inadvertent function key command on laptops.

#3 srittenhouse

srittenhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:14 PM

The sticker on the bottom says Model MX6124

#4 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:29 PM

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers...p;uid=266369753

Did you check the bios for video settings there?

The link above is the latest intel driver from gateway. It could be reinstalling the driver will fix your issue.

What resolution is it set to in the display settings ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users