Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System behaving strangely

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mike.H

Mike.H

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:32 AM

Hey guys, this is becoming quite annoying. Every so often my PC will restart, and I have no idea whats causing it. I think I'm free from virsuses, although I will run some scans ans let you know how it goes, and I believe I'm not overheating etc? I guess I will run memtest later on to see if my ram is the problem but really I'd just like some advice on how to troubleshoot this thing. I'd appreciate any words of wisdom you have as this problem comes and goes, I'll have it for a while and then it'll shoot. No idea whats up but I want to do something about it.

Thanks very much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:43 AM

It is hard to say since you didn't even post what OS you are using. If you are using XP right click my computer-properties-advanced tab-go down to the startup and recovery section and click settings-uncheck the automatically restart option if checked. Also check your event viewer for errors in the system.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:38 AM

After you disable the auto reboot feature...you can also use BlueScreenView to look at the errors produced. The errors will try to pinpoint the problem.

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html.

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When scanning is done, Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items. Save the report as BSOD.txt. If the reported date for errors is not in chronological order (most recent at top), then you may want to sort that column to make it so...before saving the file.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

#4 Mike.H

Mike.H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:58 PM

Thanks for the replys guys! It's XP yeah I'm sorry about that, I'll get on what you're saying. It keeps restarting so I'm in safe mode at the mo to see if that helps. I'll follow what you guys have just said and be back to you.

Thanks again.

#5 Mike.H

Mike.H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:59 PM

OK guys I disabled the reboot feature, actually I did that a while ago and it still has been rebooting since then. Does this suggest anything to you? Possible PSU going nuts or ram?

#6 Mike.H

Mike.H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:13 PM

Alright guys I downloaded that bluescreenview and it showed no bluescreens, but bare in mind this was in safe mode. I was not able to do it in normal windows as it kept restarting. Really strange but I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation.

#7 Mike.H

Mike.H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:06 AM

Got an update for you fellers, unfortunately it seems to have gotten a bit worse. I booted it into safe mode this morning and saved the things I needed into my backup hd and that's all ok now, it seemed kind of stable in safe mode so I thought I'd try and go a system recovery and see what happens. I inserted my recovery cd, booted from it and began the recovery process, as soon as it started my PC made a clicking noise and the display went off, my monitor said no signal (it works just fine, it's actually a TV but you can use it as a monitor too) so this is strange, I turned it off and when I booted it up again this time I got nothing on my monitor at all. Anyone got any idea what this is?

Thanks.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:03 AM

I followed your thread and realize you were having issues with your system restarting by its self.

Here is a list of reasons your computer will restart.

Over heating Processor core - usually caused by faulty cooling fan or clogged heat sink. Or heat sink is not seated properly on top of processor's core.

Corrupted Video drivers or video card failure, sometimes an add-on video card issue can be resolved by cooking the video card in a 300 degree F oven for 10 minutes, this re-flows the solder on faulty connections, any plastic parts and heat sink should be removed from the card before attempting this. This process does NOT work with on-board video processors however!

I think your concentration should be mostly aimed at your processor and if it is being cooled correctly.

You may have a PSU problem as well, your power supply may have failed completely, where as before it was slowly failing to provide a stable supply of current.

At that point using a VOM meter would have showed the voltages as being below normal from time to time.

You can still use a VOM meter to determine if your PSU is still supplying any voltages, or if one rail has failed, or is below spec.

You could substitute your power supply with another one, to determine if your motherboard still boots. If it does, your origional PSU has failed internally.

I would also try disconnecting every plugged in device and plug it back in, sometimes those become loose, or oxidation builds up between the metals on the contacts. This process disturbs the oxidation.

Also with all my advice I must always warn about Static Electricity damage, any time you work on the inside of your computer, I strongly advise you keep one hand on the computers outer metal
casing at all times, and unless you are testing for voltages, unplug the power supply from the wall outlet, to avoid possible short-outs.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 16 April 2010 - 11:06 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#9 Mike.H

Mike.H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 08:22 AM

Thanks very much the for reply! I'll switch the power supplys around but I'm afraid everything else is out of my scope and this means I'll probably have to give it to the shop for a bit of troubleshooting.

#10 Mike.H

Mike.H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:59 PM

OK guys it is now resolved, what it was in my case was a massive dust build up causing the bugger to overheat and windows beingt corrupt. I cleaned the insides out, formatted and re-installed windows and now I'm running fine. Thanks for the support.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:05 PM

OK guys it is now resolved, what it was in my case was a massive dust build up causing the bugger to overheat and windows beingt corrupt. I cleaned the insides out, formatted and re-installed windows and now I'm running fine. Thanks for the support.

Glad to hear everything is back to normal again!

Keep up a regular schedule of case cleaning every six months and you'll be good to go! :thumbsup:
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users