Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No audio device

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Charmsnare

Charmsnare

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:18 AM

I have a sound issue that is driving me crazy and I hope someone here can help me sort it out.

I searched many threads with key words no sound and none fit my situation.

My system info :

Dell dimension 4550
Intel Pentium 4 processor
chip set Intel 845PE
Creative SB Aduidgy SE sound card on PCI slot 3
OS XP home

Ok so I got this pc I am fixing for a friend. It had no sound, when it arrived. After a check of the Device Manger the drivers seemed to be working fine. But I updated drivers anyway, no change. In the control panel > sounds and audio devices > volume says no audio device and is grayed out. Under the audio tab Default device is grayed out and says No playback device. Also I had no sound icon in the system tray.

I install a brand new sound card the one listed above it installed just fine. The sound icon even appeared in the system tray. Although it was not the standard windows icon it is the creative SB icon. Once installed I disabled the integrated sound card, in the device mgr and in the BOIS. Then uninstalled the software (SoundMax) in add/remove programs. Then restarted pc. But still no sound, not even system sounds.

So my next step was to check services. Start>run>services.msc. To make sure it was started. I then right clicked it to check startup type, it was automatic just as it should be.

I went back to the Control Panel> Sound and Audio and checked everything! I went to CP> Sound and Audio > Properties> Sound blaster Audigy> Properties> and made sure the Use audio features on this device was highlighted. Of course it was. Then checked to see if the drivers were digitally signed (not usually a problem for me but just in case I made sure they were. On the general tab it is working properly well the drivers anyway lol and is enabled.

Now after a little yelling, I decided to check the device manger again. This time first through the command prompt, Start>Run>cmd> set devmgr_show_nonprsent_devices>enter. Then opened Device manger from command prompt, changed the view to show hidden devices. Thinking maybe my old sound card may have still been there causing conflicts. But nope and no other devices category, no exclamations or question marks. Arrrgggghh.

Next I went back to my command prompt and tried sfc /scannow> enter. I let it do its thing it ran for awhile, didn't fix the issue. At this pint I believe the integrated sound card was just fine all along. I even tried a fix I had done when I Xp pro. I tried to enable the group policy, then quickly realized it was not an option on XP Home.

As a final effort I decided to check the Event Viewer, for any errors or warnings even remotely related to sound. I found nothing but a bunch of McAfee related errors. I removed McAfee before I started sound card fix. Also some Avg errors, which is no longer on pc either.

My only thoughts at this point is that possibly a registry cleaner was used on it by someone who didn't really know what they were doing and something got deleted that shouldn't have. Maybe McAfee or Avg??? At this point I am lost. So I contacted Tech Support at Creative, who spent an hour walking me through the same steps I had already done. They told me it was a pc issue not thier sound card and couldn't help me any further.

I know this may be difficult to solve but any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:22 AM

Have you tried all PCI slots to ensure that they are functioning properly? Installed it in a different slot?

Have you tried installing the card in a different system momentarily...to verify that it's functioning properly?

If the SB card works on another system...I would have to guess that it's a motherboard problem of some type. I'm not technically proficient (with computers or anything else), but that's where I would have to go.

You seem to have cleared the O/S by running sfc /scannow, I would have to look to the hardware myself.

FWIW: You have gone through the XP sound troubleshooter, right?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 15 April 2010 - 10:22 AM.

#3 Charmsnare

Charmsnare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:38 AM

yes I walked through the troubleshooter. I also tried different pci slots.

After posting I put the new sound card in my pc works just fine. I appreciate your help very much but I still have no sound.

I can't figure out what hardware is bad though, I believe the integrated sound card was never bad. Are there .dll files or registry keys that could be missing?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:59 AM

Hmm...I suppose that the only way to really eliminate something simple that is being overlooked...would be to do a repair install of XP (takes care of the O/S side) and then try to see if the onboard works (first), then the sound card.

The repair wipes out all system files and replaces them...whereas sfc /scannow replaces missing/known damaged system files.

You might want to try removing all unneeded drivers, via the following procedure (you may already have done this)...then trying to install.

Remove Unused Drivers and Devices - http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/Win...andDevices.html

Louis

#5 Charmsnare

Charmsnare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:07 AM

Yeah I checked the Remove Unused Drivers and Devices, only I did it through the cmd prompt.

The only xp disk I have is Xp Pro so I can't run a repair I would have to do a whole new install. I really really don't want to do that.

I know I am asking allot but do you have any other suggestions??

#6 Calikinakka

Calikinakka

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:13 AM

Hi there, I've had this issue recently. I found the solution here almost all the way down the thread a post by Efi:

>1. From Device Manager (be sure to select View/Show hidden devices), find the 'ISAPNP
>Read Data Port' device from the System Devices list. (Of note: once I successfully
>repaired this problem, this device no longer appears.)
>2. Right click the ISAPNP device, and select "Update Driver"
>3. Select "Install from a list or specific location"
>4. Select "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install."
>5. The step I left out on prior trials: UNSELECT "Show Compatible Hardware"
>6. Be sure that "(Standard System Devices)" is selected under Manufacturer.
>7. Under Model, scroll down until you see "Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator".
>Select this item, and select "Next>".
>8. You will receive some frightening error message that you should probably disregard.
>9. Complete the installation of the driver. You will see your device list magically
>change before your eyes. The other PNP devices will mysteriously become enabled and
>active. If not, restart.

I hope this helps you as it did me. If it does, please give Efi the props he deserves!

*edit: forgot to give link to location and proper thanks to Efi*

Edited by Calikinakka, 15 April 2010 - 11:24 AM.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:12 PM

IS the sound card close to the video card? If so move it down to the lower rungs.

#8 Charmsnare

Charmsnare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:14 PM

cryptodan I thought about that so I moved it to the lowest possible pci bus. My video card is on the 1 pci express bus

Calikinakka I am a little nervous about the warning it gives me, since it is not my machine I would hate to cause more damage than it all ready has.

#9 Calikinakka

Calikinakka

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:51 PM

Create a restore point beforehand and read the warning carefully. When I did it, it wasn't much of a "warning" just a "Hey, this is going to change how I see this, you sure?"

#10 Charmsnare

Charmsnare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:16 AM

Ok I tried it still no sound, I got her xp disk and tried a repair. Still no sound, so I decided to do a clean install of XP STILL NO SOUND!!!!!!!!!!!

Any suggestions?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:22 AM

Well, IMO...a clean install lets XP/Windows off the hook, assuming that proper drivers were installed and Device Manager reflects no problems.

The only other path that I see...is the motherboard, by virtue of the onboard chip being exonerated.

Louis

#12 Calikinakka

Calikinakka

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:45 AM

When I had the problem it was on a fresh load of XP on an Asus P5P55D. If you haven't yet, try going through Efi's steps again. Can't hurt to try again.

#13 Calikinakka

Calikinakka

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:56 AM

Did you have any luck with this problem yet?

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:11 PM

Sounds to me like its a dead sound card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users